Silly question for Mahlkonig K30 Vario owners

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Zoey

#1: Post by Zoey »

As stated, I have a silly question for those of you who own/have owned a Mahlkonig K30 Vario.

Do you leave it turned on all day, or turn it off after you are finished grinding? I ask because I've been turning mine off, and I'm not sure if this is detrimental to the electronics or not.

Sorry if this is a ridiculous question.

Cheers

Uldall

#2: Post by Uldall »

Mine is turned on the most of the day.

/Uldall
Bassethound.
Coffee Driven.

Advertisement
BaristaBoy E61

#3: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Our K30 Vario is left 'On' except when away for an extended period of time. The only possible harm you're risking might be excessive wear to the power switch but even then you're not switching it under load so wear is minimal. To save wear on the power switch, you could plug the grinder into a switched power bar and turn it 'Off' & 'On' from there; much cheaper and less hassle to replace an inexpensive power bar than replacing the power switch in the K30.

On the positive side of always having it 'Off' when not in use, is that it will be 'Off' during lightning storms that can cause spikes that might harm the electronics. We have 'Whole House Surge and Lightning Protection' installed right at the electrical entrance at the load center (breaker box), so the risk is minimized.

Not a silly question at all!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Zoey (original poster)

#4: Post by Zoey (original poster) »

What a relief. I thought for sure I might take a jab or two for asking such a silly question.

Here was my thought process:
Incorrect or not, I assumed that the machine is geared more towards cafe shop work. Thus, I imagine that the machine would be left on for something like 16 hours a day. Ignorant to the mysteries of electronics, I wondered if turning it on and off, repeatedly during the day, would somehow decrease the lifespan of said electronics.

I like the idea of putting it on a power strip, and it's currently connected to a Panamax surge protector. Thanks for the tip!