*Sigh* Ceado E37SD issues. - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ufergus

#21: Post by ufergus »

What kind of burrs does yours have? The original titanium coated or the new opalglide? I have the titanium coated burrs and your grinds look much more coarse than mine. If you have opalglide, my observation is probably not helpful. From the few posts I have seen, the set points with the opalglide are very different than titanium. Can you open the hood and take a few pictures of the burrs? I can't imagine anyone wearing through burrs in an SD configuration since this grinder has been available. If the burrs were damaged somehow I think we could see that in pictures.

One thought on the SSP burrs. There have been complaints about newer Ceado machines not accepting the 83mm SSP burrs.
rich

brokenlungs (original poster)

#22: Post by brokenlungs (original poster) »

Thanks for the knowledge. I have the titanium burrs.

Here are pics.

The stationary burr appears to have some dark marks around the 12 and 9 area. Doesn't appear to be the dry erase marker either. Haha

Are you able to quickly dump your whole dose at once? Or do you do little by little? The setting it's at now needs to go 2-3g at a time or it'll clog. Which makes my grind time around 1-2mins.

This is as fine as I got when it started getting clogged. Half my dose was just stuck in the burrs and wasted.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#23: Post by baldheadracing »

Hard to tell from pics, but it looks like you have radial and angular misalignment.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

#24: Post by brokenlungs (original poster) »

Any suggestions on how to fix?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#25: Post by baldheadracing »

I don't see anything special about the E37 nor did I read anything previously posted on E37 alignment that would preclude from doing alignment in the usual ways ... although I would start with shimming (non-destructive) and try Hale (destructive) only if absolutely necessary.

Good luck!
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

#26: Post by brokenlungs (original poster) »

I've done the foil alignment 2 times now. So I'm think they burrs are shot

ufergus

#27: Post by ufergus »

Not sure what to tell you.. if you have aligned the burrs, not sure what else it could be. Clogging can be frustrating. Make sure to RDT and pre-start the motor before dumping in the beans. I find static makes clogging more likely. For most blends/coffees I don't have an issue and can get fine enough. Here are a couple pictures of Redbird Blue Jaguar.

rich

#28: Post by brokenlungs (original poster) »

Yeah I do rdt pre start the grinder. Drop like 4-6 beans let them grind. Do more grind repeat but if I dump the whole dose they clog. I have a set of new burrs at work I'm going to compare these ones vs ones I know are new to these. I ordered a new set of Ceados as I do believe these ones are shot.

#29: Post by brokenlungs (original poster) »

Just another observation. I compared them to new Mazzer burrs at work and they are noticeably smooth in comparison. Also the Ceado burrs you can see indications of wear when viewing the burr from the side Not sure if this is typical of wear or just how it's made but the Mazzer did not have this.

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#30: Post by Pressino »

You should be able go grind fine enough to choke your machine. If not (and it sounds like that is the case here...since you get the burrs close enough to chirp yet barely backing off from that point you still get gusher extraction...) there is something wrong with your grinder. What it is is hard to say at this point, but could be things like: 1) really shot burrs; 2) unstable or otherwise faulty burr holding or burr adjustment mechanism; 3) severe burr misalignment (not only "tilted" but out of concentricity..i.e. laterally shifted...which can occur with misaligned motor shaft bearings).

So to test the possibility that the grinder is the problem, try choking your machine.