*Sigh* Ceado E37SD issues. - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
brokenlungs (original poster)

#11: Post by brokenlungs (original poster) »

Right on. Well. Shoot I don't know maybe the beans are too light? I ran out of all the beans I got this morning

How does one know if burrs are needed? I only have 3.5 hashmarks left before I hit zero and if I go beyond to Marks give or take the beans get clogged

baldheadracing
Team HB

#12: Post by baldheadracing »

If the coffee works on your Pharos, then the beans are not too light.

As for knowing when burrs are worn out, my only experience with heavily-worn burrs was with a used espresso grinder that had years of commercial use. When compared to a broken-in and seasoned set of new burrs, the old burrs had more differences in taste between shots than the new burrs.

Another way is to do regular measurements over time with, for example, a refractometer and a lab standard coffee, and compare results over time. However, I don't know of anyone actually doing that.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

#13: Post by brokenlungs (original poster) »

Hmm okay. So even if the burrs were well used I'd still potentially get a good shot. Or at least something that didn't look like a sewage drain in a rain storm?

Guess I'll go pick up some espresso roast and see where that gets me.

Plinyyounger
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by Plinyyounger »

Are you using freshly roasted beans that need to rest first? Or are you using old roasted beans? Light roast or medium? Tell us the beans, the roast dates please.
Family, coffee and fun.

#15: Post by brokenlungs (original poster) »

Originally a super light roast from 4/26
Then I swapped to a Mexican light/med from 4/27
I just picked up a message/dark from 5/1 but am recovering from the sads of no coffee yet

This was the finest I got the Mexican roast but it still pulled incredibly bad and quick.

iploya

#16: Post by iploya »

My gut says new burrs. That's a telltale sign of a misalignment, dialing down to chirp and still fast flow.

Very good chance with it being a used grinder that the burrs are damaged and that replacing the burrs will solve it. And seller may have honestly not known -- happened to me recently that my own SSP burrs were damaged and I had no idea when or how, but replacing them solved the issue.

If new burrs are out of reach, do the research (on this forum) and try to align the existing burrs.

#17: Post by brokenlungs (original poster) »

Dang well I guess I can justify SSP burrs

I'll report back with darker roast results in a bit

Yeah I'm giving the seller benefit of the doubt. I got it at about half of retail and a tank and a half of gas.

#18: Post by brokenlungs (original poster) »

Have just a few more small adjustments until I hit zero

Still same quick extraction. This also took 70 seconds to grind pouring in a little at a time or I'd clog the grinder.

iploya

#19: Post by iploya »

Although I suggested new burrs might be the answer, having just looked up the price of replacement burrs, it would be worth it to check your existing burr alignment to rule out other obvious issues. Even if just to remove, clean the burrs and burr carrier, and re-mount.

When I checked online this video popped up (and probably others out there) that has some thoughts on burr alignment for this model. I'm sure there is more info on this forum.

#20: Post by brokenlungs (original poster) »

Yes, currently in the process of double checking all my things but who knows wilder things have happened. The Seller agreed to refund 100$ to help cover the cost of replacements.