Should you lubricate the adjustment collar and worm gear on stepless grinders?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Derryisreal
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Derryisreal »

Okay, so I am probably making a fool out of myself, but just wanted to check what you guys think - should one put a layer of grease on the teeth of the steel grind adjustment collar and/or the worm gear on grinders like the Ceado SD or the ECM V-Titan 64? I am guessing not, but will be interested in what you think?
Thanks.
Neither milk, nor sugar.

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

The grease is good in that it likely makes adjusting the grind feel smoother and maybe diminishes the wear on the gears. On the other side, grease can collect dirt and conceptually increase wear and decrease feel. Which I guess means it depends on the environment and the grinder.

Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. »

Furthering what Ira said, if you see coffee grounds on the parts' teeth, no grease. The stray grounds will accumulate and instead of making adjustment easier it will become more difficult.
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
* 22nd Anniversary 2000-2022 *

Derryisreal (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Derryisreal (original poster) »

Thanks, Ira and Randy, I am going to put a thin layer of Klüber grease (it seems to be the one that attracts almost no debris), and see how it goes.
I have the ECM V-Titan 64 grinder. It has a tendency to creep towards coarse, unless one tightens the worm. Hopefully, the grease won' exacerbate that.
Neither milk, nor sugar.

jefegold

#5: Post by jefegold »

I was going to ask a very similar question today. I was getting burnt flavors no matter what grind and dose, so I decided to check the burr alignment on my DF64. While tweaking the alignment the collar grit was an issue the more I got to the zero point. I saw a video from the company I bought it from and followed directions to clean the collar and add a food safe lubricant, in this case I used a silicone grease. Now I cannot close the collar, and it's very difficult to get off as well.

I really need some help.

Thanks
Jeff

ira
Team HB

#6: Post by ira »

If that fails, carnuba wax can for some thigs make a decent lubricant.

cafeIKE
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by cafeIKE »

The ring is usually plastic which is self-lubricating.

Stiffness is unlikely caused by the ring and worm gear.

If it's binding, check that the gear concentricity is good and the gear mount is correct.

Lube + grit + gear = jam

jefegold

#8: Post by jefegold »

thanks
The silicone grease made it worse, so do you think if I wipe it down and use your suggestion it would work? Do you have a suggestion for a brand?

cafeIKE
Supporter ❤

#9: Post by cafeIKE »

I'd remove the worm gear and collar - IF possible - and give them a good wiped down with a lint free rag, making several passes to make sure they are clean.

With the several worm gear / toothed grinders I owned, I found the best way to ensure smooth operation was to gently tighten the ring gear screws in sequence. If one was torqued down, invariably the ring gear was slightly off center. Once the ring gear is centered, adjust the worm gear for free operation. I don't think I ever had to do anything a worm gear mount.

jefegold

#10: Post by jefegold »

THANKS
in my case, there is no issue with the gears (there is no worm gear), it's just the metal on metal collar threads, as well as the top of the burr carrier where it touches the collar.

This video explains it except that I lubricated as he said, and now it's really really hard to turn the collar.