Seeking Advice for Fellow Ode with SSP MP Burrs - Light Roast Pour-Over Settings

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
savagebrood

#1: Post by savagebrood »

Dear Coffee Enthusiasts,

I hope this message finds you all well and enjoying your coffee journey. I am reaching out to this knowledgeable community for some guidance on a specific setup I'm currently working with.

I have recently upgraded my Fellow Ode grinder with SSP MP burrs and I'm eager to optimize it for my favorite brewing method - light roast pour-over. However, I find myself a bit uncertain about the best starting point in terms of grind settings for this particular combination.

Given the expertise and diverse experiences within this forum, I would greatly appreciate any recommendations on grind size or any other tips that you might have found effective for a similar setup. I'm aiming for a balanced and flavorful extraction, and I believe your insights could be immensely helpful in achieving that.

Thank you in advance for sharing your wisdom and experience. It's communities like this that make the coffee journey not just about the drink, but also about the shared learning and passion.

Warm regards

malling

#2: Post by malling »

It really depends on brewing style and preferences I was like at 6-8 with one past chirp. I know from the Ode community on Facebook that this is very common to use the MP and Cast in, some go a bit finer to around 5, I even heard some go as fine as 4 ( 1-3 is fundamentally espresso setting) but personally I never liked what such an extreme fine grind do to brewed always found it vulgar and pronounced issues with channeling.

I seen many start at 7 when they get a new coffee and go from there, but it's really hard given strict recommendations as coffee ain't the same, neither is technique nor water.