Ross Droplet Technique-Eliminating Grinder Static - Page 10

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#91: Post by JohnB. »

FotonDrv wrote:John:Could you Post a photo of the mister bottle you are using? Mine is a bit cumbersome and I am looking for alternative.
Here you go:

Nothing fancy but it does put out a very fine mist that's hard to even notice on the beans but seems to do the job. Slightly taller then a tamper & pretty slim. If you look in the area where you find the travel size toothpaste, ect. there's usually a selection of various sized pump bottles. I'm going to pick up a second one to keep next to the Bunn as the RDT has completely cured the static cling all around the exit chute.
LMWDP 267

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#92: Post by JohnB. »

allon wrote:Hm, may have to try a small burst of steam from the steaming wand over the beans prior to grinding...
This would certainly work but you'd have to thoroughly flush the wand each time to avoid soaking the beans.
LMWDP 267

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#93: Post by FotonDrv »

Thanks John :D

UPDATE: John! That is a beautiful tamper handle!!! Did you do it yourself?
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

allon

#94: Post by allon »

JohnB. wrote:This would certainly work but you'd have to thoroughly flush the wand each time to avoid soaking the beans.
Of course. Worked a treat!
I did a very gentle pass under the steaming wand. If I'd opened it full I'd have blown the beans all over the place - my machine is a steaming beast!
LMWDP #331

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#95: Post by JohnB. »

FotonDrv wrote:UPDATE: John! That is a beautiful tamper handle!!! Did you do it yourself?
No that comes from Pullman Coffee Tampers in Aus. http://www.coffeetamper.com.au/

My woodworking skills are limited to being able to use a table & chop saw and a router to recreate old woodwork in our 250 year old Colonial house. The nice wooden pieces on my espresso machines all come from Dave.
LMWDP 267

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#96: Post by JohnB. »

allon wrote:Of course. Worked a treat!
I did a very gentle pass under the steaming wand. If I'd opened it full I'd have blown the beans all over the place - my machine is a steaming beast!
I did try that with the Speedster & as I recall a few beans did go flying. I think the Cremina or an MCaL would be the ideal choices for this method.
LMWDP 267

mathof

#97: Post by mathof »

"The question I ask is, how much is enough? I think it takes less than what many of us use."

i find that, as a ball park figure, adding 0.15g of water to 15g of beans, works well for my Pharos.

dcupstateNY

#98: Post by dcupstateNY »

JohnB. wrote:Here you go:
<image>

Nothing fancy but it does put out a very fine mist that's hard to even notice on the beans but seems to do the job. Slightly taller then a tamper & pretty slim. If you look in the area where you find the travel size toothpaste, ect. there's usually a selection of various sized pump bottles. I'm going to pick up a second one to keep next to the Bunn as the RDT has completely cured the static cling all around the exit chute.
John, I have the same exact bottle. I tried it tonight for the first time ... worked like a champ with my Pharos! It's only in the teens here and the heat is on big time, consequently, it's dry as a bone! This process totally eliminated the static/ground retention that I usually experience. The question I have is how many "spritzs" do you usually apply to the beans? I did two 14g doubles in my LaPavoni. I spritzed each one 3 times before grinding ... too much?
Ciao,
Dave

LMWDP: #346

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#99: Post by FotonDrv »

JohnB. wrote:I did try that with the Speedster & as I recall a few beans did go flying. I think the Cremina or an MCaL would be the ideal choices for this method.
That Speedster would be like my GS/3 and result in more of a pressure washing episode :D

Thanks for the info on the tamper.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

TomC
Team HB

#100: Post by TomC »

dcupstateNY wrote:John, I have the same exact bottle. I tried it tonight for the first time ... worked like a champ with my Pharos! It's only in the teens here and the heat is on big time, consequently, it's dry as a bone! This process totally eliminated the static/ground retention that I usually experience. The question I have is how many "spritzs" do you usually apply to the beans? I did two 14g doubles in my LaPavoni. I spritzed each one 3 times before grinding ... too much?

Too much. Or not. It depends on what your retention/static looks like. Pretty much every type of epsresso roast I've put thru my grinder has all the problems cured with one quick spray. Do a test grind weighing before and after if you need to, but I think you're overthinking it.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/