Ross Droplet Technique-Eliminating Grinder Static - Page 9

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
bostonbuzz

#81: Post by bostonbuzz »

Here is my RDT technique. It's a small glass rod. After heating up an espresso cup, you can pick up a drop or two of water easily and deposit it in on the beans before grinding.

It works wonders on my pharos.

LMWDP #353

Spitz.me

#82: Post by Spitz.me »

You can do the same with a straw and water.

1 - Put straw in water to desired depth
2 - Plug top of straw with finger
3 - Remove straw from water
4 - Apply water to beans.
LMWDP #670

JmanEspresso

#83: Post by JmanEspresso »

Ive been using this technique.. the "RDT"(Oh how I love these names lol) as it were, and for me, its a damn miracle. Works so well, I cant believe I dealt with the static issues I used too. When I forget to add the drop(s) of water, the amount of static is enough to make me say to myself "Man, glad I dont have to deal with THAT anymore!"

I do it a little differently than has been described here. I single dose, so first I weigh out my beans. I dump them in the grinder. I then take a small glass of water that I have next to my grinder, dip my finger in the water, and then swirl the beans around inside the throat of the grinder with said finger.

I did try adding the drop(s) to the beans prior to adding them to the grinder, but got mixed results. This way, has been flawless. After two weeks(I'd say, roughly)of doing this, I took the upper burr carrier off and had a look see inside. Same as always on the Major. Pretty much nothin'.

I admit, I would rather not have to use the RDT, but if my choice is between RDT, or ridiculously frustrating static problems... RDT it is.

Terranova
Supporter ❤

#84: Post by Terranova »

JmanEspresso wrote:
I admit, I would rather not have to use the RDT, but if my choice is between RDT, or ridiculously frustrating static problems... RDT it is.
+1

I couldn't say it any better :)

TomC
Team HB

#85: Post by TomC »

Try a mini spray bottle. It's twice as quick and you keep your hands dry. I wouldn't cook or brew with hands that weren't clean, but some people (guests) wouldn't want to see someone running their fingers all over something they're supposed to ingest.

The fine mist of the bottle coats every exposed bean perfectly. I've never looked back.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

prof_stack

#86: Post by prof_stack »

I'm using a small atomizer, a mini-spray bottle like TomC mentioned.

The question I ask is, how much is enough? I think it takes less than what many of us use.
LMWDP #010

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#87: Post by FotonDrv replying to prof_stack »

Seeing and adjusting is the only way to know. 2 double shots back to back and one I did not get enough mist onto the beans. Presto! Static cling, but to a lesser degree than no mist static cling. Measuring a spray mist would be tricky. I know there are medical atomizers that do measure doses but I have never seen one that is refillable. There has to be medical folks out there that might know!??!! It would be handy to have a metered dose of water vapor.

So the RDT with its eye dropper might be a bit easier to get a measured amount of water onto the beans. FWIW I use the mist bottle too and like the convenience.

I tried this in my Mazzer Kony-E right after a complete cleaning of chamber, chute, etc. Single dose after RDT only retained about .4g and with a puff of air into the tube style hopper it all came out! WOW!!

That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#88: Post by JohnB. »

I switched from the water drops to the spray bottle. One pump puts out a fine mist that tames the static generated in an 18g dose ground in the HG-One. Target & most department/drugstores stores have a variety of refillable pump sprayer bottles in the travel section.
LMWDP 267

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#89: Post by FotonDrv replying to JohnB. »

John:

Could you Post a photo of the mister bottle you are using? Mine is a bit cumbersome and I am looking for alternative.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

allon

#90: Post by allon »

Hm, may have to try a small burst of steam from the steaming wand over the beans prior to grinding...
LMWDP #331