ROK Grinder GC? Anyone compared this to the original?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Boy_Narf

#1: Post by Boy_Narf » Dec 02, 2019, 6:45 pm

Hello friends,

I started my obsession with coffee just a few years back and started out with some very basic stuff (spice grinder for my beans, terrible I know). I've graduated slightly up to a Rok Grinder (gen1), and a Yama Siphon with a glass filter rod. I've been looking at espresso machines for a while now and just found out about the Cafelat Robot, which I will be picking up once it's back in stock at my preferred shop.

Anyway, I got the Rok grinder back during their original kick starter and have been using it for a few years now. There are some issues with it yes but I still quite enjoy using it, as well as the coffee it helps create. I just recently discovered that a new model was released last year which apparently fixes most of the issues (grind consistency the biggest one due to tighter tolerances). I'm wondering if anyone has tried out the GC and even better compared it to the original model?

Thank you very much and remain joyful.

mivanitsky
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by mivanitsky » Dec 02, 2019, 7:01 pm

For good, cheap hand grinding for siphon, I would suggest Kanso Hiku with the Saigo burrset.

https://kansocoffee.com/products/saigo- ... nd-version. Will blow away any Rok.

Ora

#3: Post by Ora » Dec 03, 2019, 12:26 am

Boy_Narf wrote:Hello friends,

I started my obsession with coffee just a few years back and started out with some very basic stuff (spice grinder for my beans, terrible I know). I've graduated slightly up to a Rok Grinder (gen1), and a Yama Siphon with a glass filter rod. I've been looking at espresso machines for a while now and just found out about the Cafelat Robot, which I will be picking up once it's back in stock at my preferred shop.

Anyway, I got the Rok grinder back during their original kick starter and have been using it for a few years now. There are some issues with it yes but I still quite enjoy using it, as well as the coffee it helps create. I just recently discovered that a new model was released last year which apparently fixes most of the issues (grind consistency the biggest one due to tighter tolerances). I'm wondering if anyone has tried out the GC and even better compared it to the original model?

Thank you very much and remain joyful.
never really heard anyone recommending rok as a top quality grinder for hand grinding, but i suppose if you like the aesthetics of it then you would like it.
mivanitsky wrote:For good, cheap hand grinding for siphon, I would suggest Kanso Hiku with the Saigo burrset.

https://kansocoffee.com/products/saigo- ... nd-version. Will blow away any Rok.
oh man i just got a kinu simplicity grinder, but i didnt want to spend extra for their course grind burr. Hows the hiku saigo compared to kinu in general?

mivanitsky
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by mivanitsky » Dec 03, 2019, 1:17 am

For espresso, Kinu is better than Hiku by quite a bit. I've not tried the new a Kinu coarse burrs. The Hiku coarse burrs are great for nonespresso applications.