ROK Grinder GC? Anyone compared this to the original?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Boy_Narf

#1: Post by Boy_Narf »

Hello friends,

I started my obsession with coffee just a few years back and started out with some very basic stuff (spice grinder for my beans, terrible I know). I've graduated slightly up to a Rok Grinder (gen1), and a Yama Siphon with a glass filter rod. I've been looking at espresso machines for a while now and just found out about the Cafelat Robot, which I will be picking up once it's back in stock at my preferred shop.

Anyway, I got the Rok grinder back during their original kick starter and have been using it for a few years now. There are some issues with it yes but I still quite enjoy using it, as well as the coffee it helps create. I just recently discovered that a new model was released last year which apparently fixes most of the issues (grind consistency the biggest one due to tighter tolerances). I'm wondering if anyone has tried out the GC and even better compared it to the original model?

Thank you very much and remain joyful.

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#2: Post by mivanitsky »

For good, cheap hand grinding for siphon, I would suggest Kanso Hiku with the Saigo burrset.

https://kansocoffee.com/products/saigo- ... nd-version. Will blow away any Rok.

Ora

#3: Post by Ora »

Boy_Narf wrote:Hello friends,

I started my obsession with coffee just a few years back and started out with some very basic stuff (spice grinder for my beans, terrible I know). I've graduated slightly up to a Rok Grinder (gen1), and a Yama Siphon with a glass filter rod. I've been looking at espresso machines for a while now and just found out about the Cafelat Robot, which I will be picking up once it's back in stock at my preferred shop.

Anyway, I got the Rok grinder back during their original kick starter and have been using it for a few years now. There are some issues with it yes but I still quite enjoy using it, as well as the coffee it helps create. I just recently discovered that a new model was released last year which apparently fixes most of the issues (grind consistency the biggest one due to tighter tolerances). I'm wondering if anyone has tried out the GC and even better compared it to the original model?

Thank you very much and remain joyful.
never really heard anyone recommending rok as a top quality grinder for hand grinding, but i suppose if you like the aesthetics of it then you would like it.
mivanitsky wrote:For good, cheap hand grinding for siphon, I would suggest Kanso Hiku with the Saigo burrset.

https://kansocoffee.com/products/saigo- ... nd-version. Will blow away any Rok.
oh man i just got a kinu simplicity grinder, but i didnt want to spend extra for their course grind burr. Hows the hiku saigo compared to kinu in general?

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#4: Post by mivanitsky »

For espresso, Kinu is better than Hiku by quite a bit. I've not tried the new a Kinu coarse burrs. The Hiku coarse burrs are great for nonespresso applications.

glmr

#5: Post by glmr »

still thinking about this grinder. what scares me are those plastic gears. could anyone give me diameter of shafts, so maybe I could find steel gears to replace plastic gears?

Boy_Narf (original poster)

#6: Post by Boy_Narf (original poster) »

Hey!

Gave up on this post after the previous replies and forgot to come back hah. I've still got the original ROK but have recently picked up a C40. C40 grinds much more even but I GREATLY prefer the vertical grinding nature of the ROK.

BUMP! Anyone compared Gen1 and Gen2 yet?

Regarding the plastic gears, I've been using mine for over 5 years now (several times a day) and there is no issue/wear on the gears at all. The play in the grinder is not in the gears but I believe in the burr itself (the vertical rod seems to be running true). I just did a re-alignment on the upper burrs and while it seems to have fluffed up and improved grind consistency, the machine is still very noisy (squeaks/metal on metal) and I can see the gap between the burrs opening and closing. I'm wondering if the tighter tolerances for V2 have improved things?

Santi

#7: Post by Santi »

I'd be really curious too!
My reference is a Lido E, so I love the ergonomics of grinding with my friend's Rok. Pouring grounds from the aluminum cup to a portafilter on the other hand...could use some improvement, especially since they bill it for espresso. I see they changed the grounds cup, but I would have hoped for a Niche-esque cups designed for different sized portafilters. Maybe this is still an improvement though? We need the details!

endautrestermes

#8: Post by endautrestermes »

Hey every one !

Reading the forum, I had the same concerns and reached out to Rok. They mentioned the following improvement:
- Re-engineered burr adjustment for greater control and reliability.
- New burr design for extra fine grounds
- smoother & finer burr travel
Has anyone had any experience with the latest generation, especially with burr quality or misalignment ? Am I right to assume it can grind from medium to fine espresso, and do ok-to-mediocre coarse ?

Otherwise, would anyone have an alternative to the Rok grinder ? I'm looking for a stationary tabletop hand grinder with vertical crank (not portable or horizontal crank, for ergonomic reason) in a similar budget (so nothing that breaks the bank like the Weber HG1 or the Kinu M68). I currently own mokka pot and aeropress, but want something I could imagine using if I ever upgrade with an espresso machine once I have the budget (maybe some manual like a flair, rok or robot).

Thanks !