Revisiting the Eureka Specialita - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
DamianWarS (original poster)

#11: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) »

Ypuh wrote:There's no 50mm Specialita, then it's called different like a Manuale.

There are 2 types of burr screw configurations, one is like 3+ years old and the others are from 2019/2020/2021. Of those recent configuration the first year has this wrong burr set.

And most important; contact your reseller and simply ask them. You won't be the first and you won't be the last. The lengths people go-to to avoid this step often amaze me :roll: :wink:.
I live in Indonesia, the seller was from an online marketplace sort of like Amazon and was reputable in that platform. I bought it in April 9 2021 so I'm already dealing with old stock but at least it's still within it's first year. I did contact them and they didn't really comment one way or the other and are going to talk to their boss about it (so I also contacted Eureka). I'm not used to customer service here replacing parts for a problem that seems so obscure but I would love to be proven wrong and hopefully, they are informed of the issue. This may or may not be still a great grinder but I don't like the lack of transparency with this issue regardless of whose fault it is. I know companies like eureka deal with the resellers, not the end-user so this may be a reseller issue, hopefully, it's not a problem. I actually help small cafe startups and bought this unit ultimately to recommend it for these cafes but after testing it there's no way I could recommend it, right now if someone asked me my opinion I would say not to buy it. I would love to give it another try because it has a lot of good traits and if it performed the same way Hoffmann's did it would be a great grinder. Right now, it's got all the features but ultimately can't deliver.

Advertisement
Ypuh

#12: Post by Ypuh »

That explains. I used to live in Indonesia for a while, things work slightly different there compared to Europe/America :wink:.

If it is for a more commercial setting; I would recommend the Mignon XL (or Atom 75s/Olympus 75HS). None of the Eureka grinders are entirely without fault, but those do not have any performance or durability issues as far as I know, and also perform more consistent. The price differences gives you more quality in the cup and ease of mind when reselling.

Overall the Eureka grinders offer great value for money and I would still recommend them but as with everything in life, there's always minor point of improvement.
I don't want a Decent

Coastie44

#13: Post by Coastie44 »

I had to send my 1st Specialita back to the retailer. It would get hung up easily and stop grinding on medium roast beans. I basically couldn't get a single shot without it stopping at least once. The replacement has been perfect, at least for my preferred medium roasted profile.

As for the speed. I am typically about 10 seconds for an 18 gram dose and around 1-2 on the dial. Sounds like that 16-18 sec is much slower.

stump007

#14: Post by stump007 »

I have a Specialita that I have been using for a year now (bought it new). Based on JohanR, I have the "good" burrs. It works but I'm not a huge fan and will replace it soon.

First same as Giampiero, I grind 1 digit from the burrs-touching point (they touch at [5] and I grind around [0]). In terms of time, for 20g it takes me around 16s to grind.
If I grind finer, e.g. in the tick-mark between 5 and 0, then I find that the grinder stalls very often, so I gave up.

The retention is crazy, the design has too many places for ground coffee to stay stuck in - you can see that when doing a thorough cleaning. The worst being the chute.

Regarding Hoffman using it in that puck prep video, I think it was just to show a use of mainstream grinder. He already showed it in his video on grinders but I doubt he'll ever review it. What I was really surprised with is that he used RDT with the Specialita. I don't think it's good in the long run. I did RDT at some point, but then I found a lot of gunk in the nooks and crannies of the grinder which gradually blocked its operation (especially the burrs + the entry point of the chute would get clogged). At least that was my experience with RDT, I don't think it's suitable for that grinder but could be wrong.

#15: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) »

Coastie44 wrote:I had to send my 1st Specialita back to the retailer. It would get hung up easily and stop grinding on medium roast beans. I basically couldn't get a single shot without it stopping at least once. The replacement has been perfect, at least for my preferred medium roasted profile.

As for the speed. I am typically about 10 seconds for an 18 gram dose and around 1-2 on the dial. Sounds like that 16-18 sec is much slower.
the reseller has stopped talking to me and presented no solution, not even an answer of "no we won't do anything". Eureka told me they don't support my grinder and to check out the contact information with the documentation of the machine. I have the original box and the instruction manual but no contact information. So there might have been an additional contact card that I've misplaced. it takes 30+ seconds to grind for me and the burrs need to be at a near touch to get a good enough grind. I'm probably going to have to buy a set of burrs at my own cost which are about $100 USD. I'm sure Eureka makes solid products but there are too many hands in the retail chain (at least where I'm at) and it's making a simple question something no one wants to take ownership over leaving me with an unpleasant experience as well as a grinder that doesn't work.

#16: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) »

I went ahead and bought new burrs and I'm happy to report the issue is resolved. it took about 12s to grind 16g of coffee. the resulting shot which had a longer preinfusion took 35 seconds (that's what I was aiming for). with the old burrs, it was taking 40s to grind the same dose. I was never able to get a free replacement mainly because of where I live and eureka customer support wasn't much help so I'm a little soured by the process. But, with that behind me, the grinder works quite well now and I'm happy with it.