Review of SSP burrs for the Ceado E37S

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
dsblv

#1: Post by dsblv »

After reading many positive reviews of the SSP Red Speed burrs, I decided to purchase a 83mm set for my Ceado E37S. I contacted SSP Grinding Solution through their web site and Hansung Lee followed up by email. Hansung is SSP's head designer and an H-B member. Hansung did a great job answering my questions on the compatibility of their burrs with my grinder. I placed an order and received the burrs in only five days (from S. Korea).

See the photos below of the new burrs. The SSP burrs are the same height (thickness) as the stock burrs. As others have mentioned, the SSP burrs have a tighter mounting tolerance than the stock burrs. It took some effort to get the mounting screws lined up so I could tighten the burrs down. The trick was to put in one screw at a time part way and then alternate tightening of the screws. I mentioned this to Hansung and he said the issue was with the tolerances of the mounting holes drilled by Ceado in the burr carrier. This is something SSP is aware of and they're looking at options.

I've been testing the new burrs with Counter Culture's Big Trouble and Verve's Sermon beans. The difference is really noticeable. It's easier to dial in shots with the SSP burrs. And, shots are smoother and flavors are improved. I get more chocolate notes with Big Trouble and fruitier flavors with Sermon. I've noticed several other differences:
  • The grind is noticeably finer and fluffier than before. The Ceado always produced good results but the SSP burrs take things to the next level.
  • The espresso grinding range has significantly expanded. The distance between zero point and espresso settings is more than double what the stock burrs provided.
  • The SSP burrs produce a deeper sound when grinding and seem quieter than the stock burrs.
  • Grind time has increased by 1.5-2 seconds. The Ceado burrs ground 18g in about 4.3 seconds. The SSP burrs are close to 6-6.5 seconds.
  • Popcorning is almost eliminated. I assume this is due to the different burr geometry and the way beans are fed into the burrs. This makes the E37S even more attractive for single dosing.
I've only used about 2 pounds of beans since changing burrs. But, the SSP Red Speed burrs are already producing excellent results and are very consistent. I think the upgrade was well worth the expense.

SSP 83mm Red Speed Burr for Ceado E37S

Comparison of SSP and Ceado burrs

SSP burrs mounted in my E37S

Séb

#2: Post by Séb »

How much are they? Also, i'd be interested to hear back in few months about the grinding speed to see if it will change after some break in period.

dsblv (original poster)

#3: Post by dsblv (original poster) »

Séb wrote:How much are they? Also, i'd be interested to hear back in few months about the grinding speed to see if it will change after some break in period.
The burrs were $350, including FedEx shipping. There isn't supposed to be much of a break-in period with these burrs. The SSP burrs have a different geometry, so the longer grind time is probably by design. I stopped noticing the time difference after a few days.

DaveB

#4: Post by DaveB »

Interesting. On my E37J, grinding time is definitely faster, 8-9 sec vs 11-12 sec for 18 grams (both sets broken in).
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

bas

#5: Post by bas »

~3 g/s is still pretty fast :D

lancealot

#6: Post by lancealot »

The espresso grinding range has significantly expanded.
I found this to be true as well. I have had the burrs for several months now. I do not remember the difference in flavor that my old burrs had. Though I am conscious of how happy I am with the taste of my espresso (this could be due to a number of things, but i am sure the ssp burrs are part of it). The lasting impression I have with these burrs over the stock ones is how much easier it has been to make adjustments. Larger espresso grinding range and for me this brings more predictability in how collar movements effect shot timing.

I will provide a link to my post where I try to explain this. However going back and reading the post now, I have trouble trying to understand myself. I feel empathy for those who may have struggled to read me...

Post #42
SSP Red Speed coated burrs - Testing

Floer

#7: Post by Floer »

I'm currently thinking about upgrading to the SSP burrs.
I'm having trouble with uneven extraction, much like in this thread: La Marzocco Linea Mini and Ceado E37S - uneven extraction/channeling solved!
Doing WDT or rotating the basket does help, but I find it rather cumbersome.

Do the SSP burrs provide a better grind distribution? What are your experiences?

Cheers!

SteveP47

#8: Post by SteveP47 »

Hi, After reading your review, I also ordered the SSP burrs for my Ceado E37S. I Installed them, correctly (how else could you do it?), and I got a very coarse grind which I proceeded to tighten up. Even after adjusting a considerable distance though, I still got a coarse grind and if I nudged it in the slightest, the grinder simply bound up. I reinstalled the stock burrs and got those dialed in; then removed them and substituted she SSP burrs and it was the same story. Clearly, I'm doing something wrong,but I can't figure it out; anyone have any positive thoughts?

def

#9: Post by def replying to SteveP47 »

So it must be that the SSP burr set is thinner than the original, creating more space between the burrs, making the grind too coarse. What to do? You need to move the new burrs closer. I cannot remember exactly, but I think you need to disassemble the top burr plate, and rotate it one way or another like 120 degrees. Something like that. That will make a macro grind adjustment, and you should be able to get an espresso grind.

NOTE: be careful with this. You might try moving the bottom burr with your finger (grinder unplugged) if that is possible to be sure the burrs are not touching after reassembly. Also, be careful when you move the lever adjuster finer because you might find the zero adjustment where the burrs begin to touch. Note this zero point, and don't move the adjustment finer.

Make sense? Somewhere this procedure is documented, but if you get really stuck call WLL support or wherever you purchased it.

SteveP47

#10: Post by SteveP47 »

Thank you very much: I was hoping that this was a "known-unknown" without "knowing" how to find out, Big help! Thanks again
SP