Replacing Mazzer Mini E Static Screen

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Sideshow

#1: Post by Sideshow »

Pardon if this has been addressed before, but I couldn't find it after a search.

I'm looking to change the static screen on my Mazzer Mini E Type A grinder. After using my Rocket blaster to clear the grinds chute for a few years, one of the wires has snapped. It's not an emergency replacement, but something that I'll do at some point.

I found the static screen and accompanying gasket replacement on espresso parts. Is there an adhesive that should be used, or are the gasket and screen held firmly in place when you reattach the funnel? Also, I see there are some type of hexagonal screws/pegs that look like reverse Allen wrench screws holding the funnel in place. What is the name and size/gauge of the tool that I need to remove those?

The point of these questions is that I want to make sure that I have everything needed so I can make the replacement in one sitting without having to drop everything for a run to a hardware store in the middle. Thanks!

CarloM

#2: Post by CarloM »

Before you do that, experiment with it off to see if you like it. I took mine off years ago, and used a Pallo brush to brush out the loose grinds into the portafilter, and never ended up putting the screen back. I've since moved on from that grinder, but you might want to see if you like it better without the screen.

Sideshow (original poster)

#3: Post by Sideshow (original poster) »

Thanks, that's certainly something meaningful to consider. But I'll still need to be able to take the screen off, and I need to know the necessary tool for that.

CarloM

#4: Post by CarloM »

IIRC it's just a screwdriver to take off the funnel, and then pry off the screen because it may only be held on by adhesive. Again, I've moved on from it so I don't have it in front of me, but I certainly do not recall it as being difficult to remove.

#5: Post by Sideshow (original poster) »

Thanks for the tip about prying the old one off. I think the new gasket from espressoparts has a sticky side so it adheres in place.

Here's a picture of the funnel. You can see the pegs that I'm talking about. They're not regular screws. Maybe things have changed since when some folks last owned them? What tool and what size do I need to open these? It'll probably be some form of screw driver, but what will the name of the head be? I suppose I can just show this pic at the hardware store, but I thought I'd ask here in case someone knew the size too from experience.

Haskens

#6: Post by Haskens »

Those are just regular bolts - you can use a 7 or 8 mm wrench to remove them (can't remember which). The static screen just pulls off.

#7: Post by Sideshow (original poster) »

thanks

CarloM

#8: Post by CarloM »

Oh haha flashbacks. Yeah I didn't have the specific size wrench but I had a mini adjustable one. Now I remember. But yes pretty much remove the bolts, then funnel, then pry off screen and re-attach.

#9: Post by Sideshow (original poster) »

Perfect, thanks all for humoring me on this obviously rudimentary question. :)

#10: Post by Sideshow (original poster) »

As an update, I just successfully replaced the static screen. To get the small bolts off the funnel, I used a ratchet wrench with the 3/16" socket attachment. Then I scrapped off the adhesive pad as best I could, replaced the screen and put the new pad on, and reattached the funnel. Thanks for the guidance.

3/16" is 4.7 mm, so you can try with a 4 or 5 mm socket attachment if you have the metric.