Removing interlock collar from a Mazzer Kony hopper... without breaking it! - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
caeffe

#11: Post by caeffe »

Great job McCann!
I tried the screwdriver bit and also the plastic ramp technique, both were ineffective.
I was thinking of using dental floss but couldn't quite figure out how to 'pull' both sides at the same time.

Not sure I completely understand the technique - for me it's a moot point but for others hopefully they get it.
It seems to be an easier soln than the paint can opener.

BTW, here's the paint can opener i'm talking about:

I wanted something I can hold flat against the collar while I pried the other side also.
To make it easier to pull the hopper off, I put a little dish soap in between the hopper and the collar to act as a lubricant.

BradS

#12: Post by BradS »

McCann - great job. I think you're too kind with the props - it looks like your procedure is even better. I have to admit also - I ended up not even using the interlock adapter. I unhooked/defeated the interlock switch and went with the mazzer mini hopper with vinyl tape "shimming" on the outlet. Once you get the dia. just right, it fits very well.

I finally replaced my Rocky doser with this new Major. I cannot believe how much better the grind is with this grinder. I also cannot believe how much more messy and wasteful it is. I'm off to work on that now - time to redesign the Mazzer doser for home use!

Cheers,

Brad

cannonfodder
Team HB

#13: Post by cannonfodder »

Brilliant! Get that man a Guinness.
Dave Stephens

Kuban111 (original poster)

#14: Post by Kuban111 (original poster) »

McCann, wow great play by play thank you for taking the time to doc. with pics.

I got it off with out breaking it!!!!!!!

I figured I was on the right track with the gtr string, your post confirmed that I was & just made it easier to follow.
After taking it off I decided that I might want the option of placing it back on and off without going thru this again. So I took out the dremel & cutout a slit on the plastic hopper lip were the tabs are aligned.
This makes it easy to slide in and out but still able to hold it in place. Sorry for the bad description but I\'ll post a photo of it soon.

Thank you all for the help.

Michael.
"azuca, azuca" Celia Cruz

caeffe

#15: Post by caeffe »

Awesome idea with the slit! You can then twist the hopper to lock it, and then twist to pull it off.
LMWDP #162

caeffe

#16: Post by caeffe »

Oh, BTW - I do want to add that using just the interlock collar, I can put ~ 42g of beans in there and close the hopper slide. I think to the top of the interlock you can add at least another 28g. Since I use ~ 10g (europiccola) - 14g (NS Oscar) per shot, with the hopper slide closed I can get 3-4 shots.

So, with this in mind, I struggle the need for a "hopper".
LMWDP #162

cannonfodder
Team HB

#17: Post by cannonfodder »

That is what I did when I had the grinder for the titan project. I would put a 58mm tamper on top to weight the bean column down, but the tamper will catch on the hopper/throat shutoff slider. I would add a few fresh beans throughout the day to keep the bean level, well, level. After the last shot of the day I would not refill it until the next morning. It worked quite well for me; however I did think it looked odd without something atop that big case.
Dave Stephens

McCann

#18: Post by McCann »

Michael, that's awesome that the guitar string finally worked for you! I should have mentioned you in my "credits" along with Brad, since it was your post that gave me the idea to use the guitar string. At first I tried to use the guitar strings to pull the tabs out far enough, but the strings would break. Brad's wedge idea was the breakthrough. I'm loving the exchange of ideas on this site! Now I have to figure out how to mod my Major's hopper to sweep out the grinds better. Any ideas on that Brad?

- Mark

BradS

#19: Post by BradS »

Hi Mark,

There are a lot of examples on this site for improving the sweeping action of the lower star with materials such as velcro or vinyl tape. I've only had this newer major for a couple of weeks, and I haven't completely settled on a solution that's worthy enough to post. Send an email if you'd like some general ideas. There's definitiely a need to improve (or eliminate) that doser, that's for sure...

Cheers,

Brad

Kuban111 (original poster)

#20: Post by Kuban111 (original poster) »

I think moding is a part time job when you start getting all this equipment.
I never consider myself a real geek until I bought my first dremel kit.
Then I finally notice what I had become. :P

McCann......... thanks for the shout out.

Mods, so far on this kony.
Randy's mod
Andy's mod
My slit on the hopper mod

I too haven't decided what to do with the sweep vain yet. I've used vinyl before on the SJ but I think velcro might work out better. Anyone have any thoughts on vinyl vs. velcro or anything else.

As for a doserless mod I've been thinking about a clear view plastic in place of a backing panel.
Thought it would look cool.

I've got some great ideas from CPU case mod sites. That's how I learn how to cut out using my dremel.
I did the wifes Wii case..... :twisted:

Michael.
"azuca, azuca" Celia Cruz