Question: Mixing the same coffee beans over different grinders

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
RedPanda

#1: Post by RedPanda »

After reading many comparison on grinders after they get dialed in (like flat vs flat, or conical vs conical and conical vs flat or the hybrid flat+conical).... but a question appeared... randomly in my head:
What happens AFTER they dialed in then you grind 1/2 of the beans on both machines then mix the grinds together (or a mixture depending on the taste in question), do you get both clarity AND depth (if conical and a flat mix)?

Then also what happens if you layer the flat grinds on the bottom while conical on the top, and vice versa vs the full mix shake.

I myself dont have such a setup no where near it... nor experienced even if I did, so I can only ask people here.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

I'd guess the worst of both worlds; less clarity and less depth, etc.

However, there's a limit to what I'll do for a consistent cup of coffee, and mixing grounds - or sifting them - is beyond what I'll do in the morning :wink:.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

RedPanda (original poster)

#3: Post by RedPanda (original poster) »

shifting is one thing I wont do.... but putting 1/2+1/2 or 2/3+1/3 or 1/4+3/4 though an automatic grinder is really not much more work if you already have more than 1 grinder (it might be faster actually, and less heat)

At 50/50 you might be right.... but i suspect there is a declining rate of return which you can trade off (the 1/3+2/3 and the 1/4+3/4)

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

RedPanda wrote:shifting is one thing I wont do.... but putting 1/2+1/2 or 2/3+1/3 or 1/4+3/4 though an automatic grinder is really not much more work if you already have more than 1 grinder (it might be faster actually, and less heat)
The actual grinding is not the issue.

Designing and executing a sufficiently good experiment is much more work than simply grinding and tasting. Not doing the experiment properly is only going to confirm what you, or I, expect to taste.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

Imagine the struggle to dial in the shot for flow rate and taste when your working with the output of two different grinders in the basket.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272