Question for owners / users of electric variable speed grinders.

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
redbone

#1: Post by redbone » Oct 09, 2019, 8:29 am

1) How many owners / users of variable speed grinders change speeds on a regular basis? Regular as in per day / bag or coffee type.

2) If you don't change speeds have you settled on an ideal speed and what is that speed?
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Quester

#2: Post by Quester » replying to redbone » Oct 09, 2019, 9:19 am

EG-1 600 rpm

I bump it up or down to fine tune when I want to tweak more than 1 step on the grind adjustment ring provides.

[creative nickname]
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by [creative nickname] » Oct 09, 2019, 10:33 am

EG-1, 500RPM. I keep it fixed here and rarely bother to change it. I did some blinded comparisons early on and found that, when dialed in for the same flow rate, slower grinding speeds generally tasted better, so I set it slow and kept it there.
LMWDP #435

Chert
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Chert » Oct 09, 2019, 10:59 am

EG-1

I have mine currently at 300 for espresso and I have been using between there and 450, but I control flow with the lever and change coffees so often that I don't usually manage to settle on a particular setting of RPM or grind before moving on to another coffee. Maybe I should try to be more systematic.

Only for batch brews do I crank the RPM for efficiency reasons. The spout spews a bit more grinds about at higher RPM so the slower speeds are a bit tidier, too.

Peppersass
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Peppersass » Oct 09, 2019, 12:20 pm

Monolith Flat with SSP burrs.

After experimenting with various speeds, I settled on 450 RPM. The only exception has been for very, very light roasts where I couldn't grind fine enough to get the flow rate I wanted. Increasing RPM for those coffees solves the problem.

I also bump speed to the max 800 RPM when flushing the grinder. Sometimes this results in a tad more of the very minimal retained grinds coming out.

LBIespresso

#6: Post by LBIespresso » Oct 09, 2019, 1:18 pm

Please disregard my earlier posts in other threads about grid speed ;-) Monolith Flat SSP I have settled on 500 and rarely change it. I feel that other ways of tweaking flow rate are sufficient. My life is easier now that I have settled on fewer variables. Plus Denis says 450-550 is ideal and saw no benefit from going slower. Although I did see a difference and was able to use grind speed to impact flow rate it just wasn't the best method for me.
LMWDP #580

pcrussell50

#7: Post by pcrussell50 » Oct 09, 2019, 1:38 pm

-Monolith FlatSSP
550 rpm as per Denis guidance for the SSP burrs. I also do what Dick does and speed it up to sling some strays out.

-LWW HG-1 motorized 83mm conical
80 rpm

I consider these to be middle of the road settings. I rarely stray from these though I have noted Dick's observation that he can grind finer with higher rpm, for future use if necessary.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by baldheadracing » Oct 09, 2019, 1:53 pm

redbone wrote:1) How many owners / users of variable speed grinders change speeds on a regular basis? Regular as in per day / bag or coffee type.

2) If you don't change speeds have you settled on an ideal speed and what is that speed?
1. I don't.
2. On the Apex, the design/target burr speed is 500rpm. In the range of 400rpm-600rpm, I preferred the taste from lower rpms, so I aim for 450-500rpm. (400rpm stalls too often for me.)
What I'm interested in is my worst espresso being fantastic - James Hoffmann