Profitec T64 Grinder - Any other owners out there?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
fdpiton

#1: Post by fdpiton »

I have been visiting this site for a while now, reading and learning as much as I can, thank you all , and after approx 16 months I finally placed the order.
I just received my new espresso machine, Profitec Pro 300 and grinder, Profitec T64, about 4 weeks back. Total newbie, and to the point now we're my shots pulled are much better than I thought possible, been through 3 diff batches of beans and still wasteful when getting the different beans dialed in as best I can. I am sure they will get even better as I get more experience.
I can't really see myself giving it any type of in-depth review since A: Newbie and B: nothing to compare it to.
I was looking at the Ceado E37s and this, as my 2 finalists and thought I would give this a try.
Just wondering if anyone else out there has this grinder and if so how would they compare this to other grinders?

ShelbiRyan

#2: Post by ShelbiRyan »

Congrats on the new purchase! I think you've made a really solid buy!

fdpiton (original poster)

#3: Post by fdpiton (original poster) »

Thanks! I am very happy with the setup, just curious to hear if anyone else has the grinder and see how it compares.

Ellejaycafe

#4: Post by Ellejaycafe »

How are you liking the grinder?! I absolutely love the look of this grinder. There's not much info about it. Maybe use this thread and do a small review??
LMWDP #544

#5: Post by fdpiton (original poster) »

I am really enjoying it, I will put together a quick review ( as best I can ) in the next day or so.

bschucha

#6: Post by bschucha »

I have the T64 grinder as well (just got it a few days ago!) and I love it so far. In my very limited experience, grind seems very even and consistent. Out of the box, using my home-roasted beans, the default programmed time for the double dose button was pretty close, at about 18g. As I've tweaked the grind it is actually a bit under that now so need to re-program.

My only point for comparison is a Mazzer Mini doserless that I used for about a month, and so far I like the T64 better. Here are some reasons why:

- Cleaner dispensing of grounds into the portafilter. The Mazzer Mini seemed to dump grounds all over the place.
- Grind speed is very fast. Faster than the Mazzer. I'll have to confirm again but I think I'm getting 18g in about 6 seconds.
- T64 seems quieter than the Mazzer.
- I like the dosing buttons better on the T64, and the ability to stop the grind at any time by pushing either button again. The buttons are very responsive.
- The geared handle allowing easy twist to adjust the grind is really nice. The Mazzer Mini's handle was just a rod that you push and pull and was very stiff.
- Overall build quality is very good.

I'm still pretty new to the espresso world; I played with a Lucca M58 + Mazzer Mini that was living in my house for a month and was able to get great results. When those moved out with the owners, I ended up buying a Profitec Pro 700 + T64 grinder. It all arrived just a couple days ago so I'm still working on dialing things in.

But so far, I couldn't be happier with the T64 grinder!

#7: Post by fdpiton (original poster) »

Thanks for the post!

I like you am very new to all this but enjoying the setup very much.

I do find the the coffee dispenses in the portafilter holder with little movement required, but very little mess.
I have my double shot time set to 6.6 seconds for 16/17 gram, depending on the beans, seems to fill the basket just right, so very rarely any wasted grinds.
I find the grinds are fluffy, and today I did the bottomless portafilter and it came out great, just one tiny spitz at end.
The worm drive ( seems like old school based on some forums ) does make it easy do do a small adjustment.

Congratulations on the Pro 700, very nice.

whitedime

#8: Post by whitedime »

looks incredible by the video... havent seen much except whole latte loves videos, does anyone have one ?

whitedime

#9: Post by whitedime »

is it true that after grinding, the entire chute is still filled with ground coffee, and then, assuming you only wanted one shot that day, you have to waste it ?

#10: Post by fdpiton (original poster) »

There is a bit stuck in the chute after a grind, not exactly sure how much.

I do a quick ( approx 1-2 second ) grind before before starting a new shot.
It is a bit of waste but not too bad.