Problems with used Breville Smart Grinder Pro

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
bongag

Postby bongag » Oct 12, 2017, 3:22 pm

I have a gaggia classic so i bought breville smart grinder pro from ebay.
I can send link later to expose this seller.
What i bought is a defective smart grinder pro.

The issue is there no grinds coming out when the adjustment is set to 50 and below grind settings. My first guess is the machine might be clogged so i strip clean the machine upto its impeller and lower burrs. I also checked the passage of the grounds from bellow. Vac cleaned and everything.

Problem still exist, only at settings 60 which is the coarser which the grounds can go down, i tried adjusting the upper burr for extra coarse and extra fine bit still fail.

What you think is need to be replace by the grinder?
Is it the upper burr or lower burr?
I am sure impeller is not the issue because its steel ad i can see it rotating upon testing.
Or is it the whole grinding assembly should be replaced?

slipchuck

Postby slipchuck » Oct 12, 2017, 3:39 pm

bongag wrote:I have a gaggia classic so i bought breville smart grinder pro from ebay.
I can send link later to expose this selle.
What i bought is a defective smart grinder pro.

The issue is there no grinds coming out when the adjustment is set to 50 and below grind settings. My forst guess is the machine might be clogged so i strip clean the machine upto its impeller and lower burrs. I also checked the passage of the grounds from bellow. Vacc cleaned and everyting.

Problem still exist, only at settings 60 which is the coarser which the grounds can go down, i tried adjusting the upper burr for extra coarse and extra fine bit still fail.

What you think is need to be replace by the grinder?
Is it the upper burr or lower burr?
I am sure impeller is not the issue because its steel ad i can see it rotating upon testing.
Or is it the whole grinding assembly should be replaced?

Does it make a noise? Did you try to turn the grinder on and then add beans to see if the burrs stop?

Randy
The only bad decisions are the decisions you didn't make

Bret

Postby Bret » Oct 12, 2017, 7:33 pm

I'm not sure how you might go about fixing this -- I've never heard of this sort of issue. I suspect you just got scammed by the eBay seller, and would pursue your refund via formal complaint there.

If you disassemble it in an attempt to repair it, and then can't repair it and maybe can't get it back together properly, the seller might claim that you damaged it instead of it arriving damaged/non-functional.

If the upper (adjustable) burr is not seated properly, that would certainly cause problems of some kind. If there is some old coffee left in the machine, that might not have seated properly, which would be an easy thing to check, but it sounds like you have already checked it.

The SGP is a nice little grinder, so watching for a good price on a new one might be a good approach, or finding a refurbed unit from a reputable dealer might work.

bongag

Postby bongag » Oct 12, 2017, 8:01 pm

slipchuck wrote:Does it make a noise? Did you try to turn the grinder on and then add beans to see if the burrs stop?

Randy

No it didnt make noise. I managed to turn on while pressing the container buttons and burrs didnt stop nor makes noise. Ill upload video on my next posts

bongag

Postby bongag » Oct 12, 2017, 8:25 pm

Bret wrote:I'm not sure how you might go about fixing this -- I've never heard of this sort of issue. I suspect you just got scammed by the eBay seller, and would pursue your refund via formal complaint there.

If you disassemble it in an attempt to repair it, and then can't repair it and maybe can't get it back together properly, the seller might claim that you damaged it instead of it arriving damaged/non-functional.

If the upper (adjustable) burr is not seated properly, that would certainly cause problems of some kind. If there is some old coffee left in the machine, that might not have seated properly, which would be an easy thing to check, but it sounds like you have already checked it.

The SGP is a nice little grinder, so watching for a good price on a new one might be a good approach, or finding a refurbed unit from a reputable dealer might work.

The one i bought looks really nice. I can manage to assemble properly, disassemble and stripped, no problem. Actually i see on amazon a refurb unit for 120 then i bought this for 90usd. Picture really looks nice and the actual unit when came looks nice too. I should have bought the refurb unit. My bad.

bongag

Postby bongag » Oct 12, 2017, 8:28 pm

I dont kow how to resize picture but here it is.

I have no means in returning them since im from Philippines send to me via box from relatives in the usa.

Seller wont reply to me anymore :(
The sad thing is im trying to post a negative feedback in his profile but it just wont appear. Poor ebay

Bret

Postby Bret » Oct 12, 2017, 8:44 pm

You should still be able to work with eBay directly: a non-responsive seller will not stop you from getting a refund.

sweaner

Postby sweaner » Oct 12, 2017, 8:58 pm

Can you post a video demonstrating what is wrong?
Scott
LMWDP #248

Man does not live by coffee alone...we need beer too.

bongag

Postby bongag » Oct 12, 2017, 10:42 pm

Bret wrote:You should still be able to work with eBay directly: a non-responsive seller will not stop you from getting a refund.

I already requested a refund but the item needs to be shipped back :(

bongag

Postby bongag » Oct 12, 2017, 10:44 pm

sweaner wrote:Can you post a video demonstrating what is wrong?

Ok here

Sponsored by cerinicoffee.com
www.cerinicoffee.com: official US importer for Olympia Express