Power ratings for the motors used in titan grinders

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Primacog

#1: Post by Primacog »

It seems acknowledged that the single dosing flat burr grinders regarded as the titan grinders of this generation seems to be the monolith max, the p100 and the weber eg-1.

I recall that it was determined on this forum that the power rating for the monolith Max's BLDC motor was 200W.

While the lagom p100 webpage says that it has peak torque of up to 1300W. Does this mean that its BLDC motor is about 400+ Watts (based on the p64 page that suggests that its 300W dc motor is equivalent to 900w ac motor in torque) or does it mean thta it actually has a dc motor rated at 1300W?

I haven't found any info on what is the power rating of the motor in the weber eg-1. Does anyone here have any info on that?

I figure that this info may be useful to record on a thread for anyone who is interested in any one of those grinders and wants to make a comparison between them or between them and other grinders.
LMWDP #729

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

I would be interested in the Locked Rotor Amp (LRA) spec of the motor as that would tell me the Maximum current draw of the motor and would for me, be a big indicator of what it would take to stall and jam, particularly at startup.

But that's just me, as I'm into geothermal heat pumps, compressors, blower motors & hydronic water circulators (pumps).
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Advertisement
malling

#3: Post by malling »

Primacog wrote: While the lagom p100 webpage says that it has peak torque of up to 1300W. Does this mean that its BLDC motor is about 400+ Watts (based on the p64 page that suggests that its 300W dc motor is equivalent to 900w ac motor in torque) or does it mean thta it actually has a dc motor rated at 1300W?
To my knowledge no grinder other then bulk has a plus 1000w motor, such as EK43, but those are really massive. I simply doubt there is space for more then a 400-500W in the P100. The largest in espresso grinder are typically 800-950w AC.

Primacog (original poster)

#4: Post by Primacog (original poster) »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote:I would be interested in the Locked Rotor Amp (LRA) spec of the motor as that would tell me the Maximum current draw of the motor and would for me, abe a big indicator of what it would take to stall and jam, particularly at startup.

But that's just me, as I'm into geothermal heat pumps, compressors, blower motors & hydronic water circulators (pumps).
Given the rather sparse technical info published by the manufacturers, how would we find out the LRA for each grinder otherwise?
LMWDP #729

#5: Post by Primacog (original poster) »

malling wrote:To my knowledge no grinder other then bulk has a plus 1000w motor, such as EK43, but those are really massive. I simply doubt there is space for more then a 400-500W in the P100. The largest in espresso grinder are typically 800-950w AC.
The motor in the ek43 is a 1300W AC motor, right? As are the motors of most commercial grinders, I would expect, thoigh most of them would have lower powered AC motors

How big would a 1300w BLDC motor be? Interestingly if we assume they meant they had a 430W bldc motor in the p100 and if we use lagom's estimate that their motors are up to 3 times more torque than the peak levels of a AC motor of similar power rating, that may indicate they used an ek43 as a standard for top level torque and specced the dc motor for their p100 accordingly.
LMWDP #729

baldheadracing
Team HB

#6: Post by baldheadracing »

I like grinders with gearing.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by buckersss »

Primacog wrote: While the lagom p100 webpage says that it has peak torque of up to 1300W. Does this mean that its BLDC motor is about 400+ Watts (based on the p64 page that suggests that its 300W dc motor is equivalent to 900w ac motor in torque) or does it mean thta it actually has a dc motor rated at 1300W?.
I have been meaning to reach out to option o and ask. I'm inclined to think its motor does draw 1300w, but this is peak, while grinding, at 1700rpm.

The comparison for the monolith should consider that it's 200w at 400rpm I believe.

P64 would be 300w at 1400rpm, but burr surface area is about 40% of that of the 98mm burrs

Advertisement

#8: Post by Primacog (original poster) replying to buckersss »

I believe the monolith has a gear system as well.
LMWDP #729

BaristaBoy E61

#9: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Primacog wrote:Given the rather sparse technical info published by the manufacturers, how would we find out the LRA for each grinder otherwise?
Asking Mahlkonig for the full engineering electrical specs would be the best way. I would not recommend creating the LRA condition and measuring.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

malling

#10: Post by malling »

Primacog wrote:The motor in the ek43 is a 1300W AC motor, right? As are the motors of most commercial grinders, I would expect, thoigh most of them would have lower powered AC motors

How big would a 1300w BLDC motor be? Interestingly if we assume they meant they had a 430W bldc motor in the p100 and if we use lagom's estimate that their motors are up to 3 times more torque than the peak levels of a AC motor of similar power rating, that may indicate they used an ek43 as a standard for top level torque and specced the dc motor for their p100 accordingly.
Yes Mahlkonig uses a 1300w AC in the EK. I know Compak has a 120 that just uses 1000W AC so the EK is massively overpowered. You really do not need that sort of torque unless you intend to grind kg at espresso settings at a time. So it's really hard to believe the P100 would use that sort as a benchmark as the design goal is so vastly different as it possibly can be. There certainly no need for it.

You can run 64mm down to like 200-250W DC, most 80-83 run around 400-800 DC.

Size not bad for a 1300W BLDC but the price for a quality one can be rather hefty.

I know Nautilus uses 1200W supply but the size of its supply is ridiculous. And Kafatek mentioned 2000w on their Max specs but neither give full specs of their motors.

I suspect the 1300W they mentioned would be max and not industry standard mentioning of min.