CafeSing Orca AKA Potu Flat Burr Hand Grinder

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
LewBK

#1: Post by LewBK »

Since they are so rare in the wild, I wondered if anyone has tried this flat burr hand grinder:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804861274809.html

mborkow
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by mborkow »

I'd love a high quality flat burr hand grinder but I don't think that's it...

LObin

#3: Post by LObin »

They lost me at "EASY AND EFFORTLESS GRINDING WITH THE THREE-STAGE EXTENDED SWING ARM"
:shock:
LMWDP #592

malling

#4: Post by malling »

LewBK wrote:Since they are so rare in the wild, I wondered if anyone has tried this flat burr hand grinder:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804861274809.html
With that price you probably better off with one that has known people in the industry involved like the Pietro and that has a orientation of burrs that rationally make sense for a flatburr hand grinder.

That on top is also made by an actual grinder company with necessary know how.

The Pietro is by far the best implementation I seen of flat over the years, there still a few quirks needed fixing but at least it actually make sense.

pGolay

#5: Post by pGolay »

Maddening website though....
-PG

malling

#6: Post by malling »

Yes its really annoying, an Italian thing the LM home is equally if not even more maddening. Trying to order or look at Micra and I was turning half mad before I came to the purchase site.

ckr123

#7: Post by ckr123 »

In case anyone is adventurous and would like to test it with lower financial risk, this grinder is currently $107. Only 3 steps suitable for espresso, so probably not easy to really dial in, but might work for pour over. There are very few reviews even in the Chinese coffee world. I have seen people saying that this takes forever to grind but not too cumbersome due to the slow feed rate.

Jonk

#8: Post by Jonk »

Here's a review:
Didn't realize it has a pre-breaker, kind of nifty :o
Seems the ghost burr option makes more sense though considering the seemingly long grind time and effort for espresso.

LewBK (original poster)

#9: Post by LewBK (original poster) »

Sprometheus likes it:

fjen

#10: Post by fjen »

I ordered the identical one off TaoBao for around $100 a few days ago. It's with my shipping forwarder now, and will drop a mini review when I get it.

At worst, it's $100 for a paperweight, which I can live with. At best, it's a highly unimodal ghost burr hand grinder which will supplement my espresso bar for when I want filter coffee.

For me, the point of this is to be purely filter focused - I wouldn't touch espresso with this with a ten foot pole.

Ghost burr hand grinder

This recent HB topic spurred my initial look into it, together with Sprometheus' recent video.