CafeSing Orca AKA Potu Flat Burr Hand Grinder - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
fjen

#21: Post by fjen »

vitus wrote:
I bought from aliexp for around 140 usd including shipping and duties, in my case Taobao would have required an agent with more things potentially going wrong, no buyers protection, risk of paying custom duties etc.

Anyways I'm still dialing it and I noticed it produces no fines at all, I haven't noticed any issue with the finish or "particulate" coming off (mine is grey); instead the things that put me off were:

it needed a shake every now and then or the beans will stop feeding into the burr, probably the pre breaker thing and\or my lack of experience with flat burrs;
Smart choice to get it from AliExpress! I would usually not recommend doing the TaoBao route to most people - I happen to have a reliable agent that I work with almost daily on inbound shipments, so it was convenient for me to bundle it together with the next freight load. However, AliExpress would be the smoother experience for the vast majority of people.

Agree on your observations on the fines - really I don't see any finer particles and those that do get generated tend to just cling to the catch cup instead. It's confirmed in my V60 swirls, where I don't get any fines buildup on the sides like I otherwise would.

Are you grinding exceptionally large beans? I've found that larger varieties will tend to have periods where it feels done then suddenly starts back up. A gentle shake like you mentioned seems to kickstart it. I've had this happen a lot less with peaberries and smaller varieties, which I can only assume have a more direct path into the burr chamber.

vitus

#22: Post by vitus replying to fjen »

Yes mine is the ghost burr version, with the dial on the body, and it was actually 120 USD since I got 20 USD off for 11.11.

I'm going through some organic beans from Peru from Lavazza, "Tierra for Amazonia", medium roast, nothing out of this world but still much better than average supermarket stuff and in general a good buy for the price paid, beans are mostly large with some smaller ones.

Today was the maiden voyage and I'm pretty happy with the result (my only previous grinder having been the C2); I ground 45 grams at 9 clicks and cold brewed with 500 ml of water using the dripster; the result was a super clean cup, with no bitterness or astringency whatsoever, almost "tea like" like I've read somewhere but not in a bad way; I think that can be adjusted if needed and in the end, with virtually no fines, you'd always be getting more consistent results; also I don't think my preference is due to grinding coarser than with the C2, because I've experimented quite a bit with ground size and while not having bad results I'd always get some kind of bitterness and astringency no matter how coarse I ground.

Next time I'll go finer and I'm also curious of trying this grinder for some darker roasts Aeropress and V60 and for some Moka pot.

R_Kamidees

#23: Post by R_Kamidees »

I ground 45 grams at 9 clicks
I just got mine last week and have been using it on the daily. I'm surprised you were able to get 45g to fit in there.

vitus

#24: Post by vitus replying to R_Kamidees »

Yes not an issue

jjava

#25: Post by jjava »

Same. I am currently in the hunt for a pour over grinder. Preferably hand grinder so that I can use it for travel, but electric is fine as well. While I prefer a flat burr one, I realize that with my restriction (must not be made in China), my choices are limited. Currently it boils down to Kinu M47 phoenix with the pour over burrs or the Comandante c40.

I know Comandante is well regarded as one of the best but I don't like that it has no numbering on the grind settings and you have to count clicks. So I was leaning towards Kinu, but the review on the pour over burrs are all over the place. I don't mind the grind time but I want a grinder that gives me clarity and brightness.

So my research continues ...

Jonk

#26: Post by Jonk »

If you don't mind lugging a pretty big thing around, consider Pietro by Fiorenzato - vertical flat-burr manual grinders

Plenty of options made in Taiwan from 1zpresso. Q2 hept punches above it's weight IMO and it's small enough to bring anywhere.

jjava

#27: Post by jjava »

Personal preference. I don't buy anything attach to LH. Although 1zpresso is a Taiwan company, they are made from their own factory in China.

Jonk

#28: Post by Jonk »

Well now, surely Lance isn't made in China? :lol: