Potential Permanent Damage to EK Chamber and Burrs

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
NYFilter93

#1: Post by NYFilter93 »

Today, I did a deep clean of our EK43 and noticed some markings on the chamber and burrs. I've included photos of both. For context, I did multiple rounds of sanding on the chamber and briefly used foil for alignment until I got the Titus carrier.

There are some darker markings on the top of the burrs, and a darker mark on the left side of the chamber along with minor scratch marks.

Anyone know if this is just cosmetic stuff or if I may have gone too far when aligning?

franklin270h

#2: Post by franklin270h »

How did the burrs themselves get scratched? By rubbing against each other? You didn't use the burr face to do the sanding pass did you? Just asking to be thorough. It's not abnormal for burrs to get some wear like that over time especially grinding fine over time. Granted I'm not a huge fan of marker tests and doing a lot of grinding metal on metal, when sanding is (IMO) a more effective and reliable option by far.

The chamber might necessarily not look pretty, really depends on how you sanded it. My personal best results doing chamber sanding is to use the Titus carrier for it with burrs taped together (Titus carrier already has a nice trued surface so you know you're sanding with the flattest surface you'll get). And work up to at least 800 grit to getting it shiny and not a lot of scratches. That's probably a little overkill but, peace of mind.

kolu

#3: Post by kolu »

aah, Turkish burrs aren't they? why bother...
the chamber is fine.

malling

#4: Post by malling »

I seen stocked chambers looking worse then that.

Screw the burrs aren't great anyway, but yeah it doesn't look good