Positive on Kafatek Flat - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
NelisB

#21: Post by NelisB »

pcrussell50 wrote:For me it was all about how light the roast was. The lighter the roast, the uglier the pour. Aggressive mixing fixed that and made nice looking pours again.
-Peter
I have been using this with my Robur for over a year now. The difference is huge!

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#22: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

pcrussell50 wrote:^^^Could be I suppose, some sort of "Slayer'ish" behavior. :shrugs/

For me it was all about how light the roast was. The lighter the roast, the uglier the pour. Aggressive mixing fixed that and made nice looking pours again.

-Peter
Name a few lighters roasted coffees you like and I'll bite the bullet and pay the shipping and try things out.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Advertisement
pcrussell50

#23: Post by pcrussell50 replying to CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

I've been mostly using the La Marzocco subscription coffees for that last few months. Mostly but not entirely. Of course, they're not all light roasts. I've been supplementing with some super light roasts from Denver area locals... Corvus, and Sweet Bloom. Did they ever reach you when you were in Evergreen?

Back on topic: The aggressive mixing seemed more necessary on my FlatSSP than when I was using a Vario. Even though I was single dosing the Vario, and modded it for that, I think the grounds would still mix better during grinding than they do in the purposefully designed single dosing of the Flat.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Madman13

#24: Post by Madman13 »

pcrussell50 wrote:I use a bulbous-bottomed glass jar, that also fits in the portafilter holder arms.

-Peter

Does that jar fit into the portafilter holder arms without adjustment from default setting used for the portafilter (can you go switch back and forth between the jar and the portafilter if you want)? Does the funnel for on top?

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#25: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

@pcrussell50. I had Sweet Bloom a couple times. Don't recall if they were what you call light.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

pcrussell50

#26: Post by pcrussell50 »

Madman13 wrote: Does that jar fit into the portafilter holder arms without adjustment from default setting used for the portafilter (can you go switch back and forth between the jar and the portafilter if you want)? Does the funnel for on top?
It does not. The diameter of the jar is smaller than the lugs on a 58mm portafilter. I tried a 51mm portafiler from one of my levers. That was a little loose. If you had a 53mm form factor like a La Spaziale or a DC Mina, it might be perfect to swap between jar and portafilter.

This does not bother me since for me, life with the FlatSSP means grinding into a separate vessel. Doesn't bother me in the least. In fact, I'm standardizing it to all my grinders, even the ones that might be more tolerant of grinding directly into the portafilter.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:@pcrussell50. I had Sweet Bloom a couple times. Don't recall if they were what you call light.
Sweet bloom (as well as Corvus), makes a broad range of roasts. They both cater to coffee houses all over town. So they make a variety of roast levels to clientele ranging from milk drinking society moms in yoga pants who are just a little too cool for *$$, to they kinds of coffees the backroom at PublicUs might select.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

spressomon

#27: Post by spressomon »

3-years on my Monolith Flat and its perfect for me in every regard (standard burr set). This is the SS cup I use to dose into on my Monolith Flat (Denis pointed me to this cup...): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00911UWSE/

It fits the MF PF holder just fine. Dose into the cup then pour into the basket; no other WDT required. I always spritz just a little water mist using the brown glass mister Denis supplied with my MF for RDT and its 100% effective.

No Espresso = Depresso

Advertisement
pcrussell50

#28: Post by pcrussell50 »

spressomon wrote:Dose into the cup then pour into the basket; no other WDT required. I always spritz just a little water mist using the brown glass mister Denis supplied with my MF for RDT and its 100% effective.
Interesting about no further mixing required after grinding into a separate container. I can see how that might be. Although I haven't found it particularly bothersome to give it a few whisks with a little cocktail whisk.

I have been RDT'ing since before Kafatek existed. So I already have my little glass martini spritzer. I never even unwrapped the one Denis gave us.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

wru (original poster)

#29: Post by wru (original poster) »

spressomon wrote:3-years on my Monolith Flat and its perfect for me in every regard (standard burr set). This is the SS cup I use to dose into on my Monolith Flat (Denis pointed me to this cup...): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00911UWSE/

It fits the MF PF holder just fine. Dose into the cup then pour into the basket; no other WDT required. I always spritz just a little water mist using the brown glass mister Denis supplied with my MF for RDT and its 100% effective.

Thanks for the recommendation on the ss cup - arrived today and plan to try this in tomorrow's routine.

wru (original poster)

#30: Post by wru (original poster) »

pcrussell50 wrote:Interesting about no further mixing required after grinding into a separate container. I can see how that might be. Although I haven't found it particularly bothersome to give it a few whisks with a little cocktail whisk.

I have been RDT'ing since before Kafatek existed. So I already have my little glass martini spritzer. I never even unwrapped the one Denis gave us.

-Peter
The RDT has definitely dropped the static and / or the little bit of seasoning is now taking effect. Nothing visible with the Lusso albeit the Redbird is still showing just a touch. A tap of the PF and everything drops so i don't see it as an issue, but plan to try the separate container just for grins.