Portafilter Funnel? - Page 6

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Rongzi

#51: Post by Rongzi »

Kran wrote:I also use the ones from Orphan Espresso. I prefer the stainless steel to the aluminum since the extra heft keeps the funnel in place. I think cannonfodder makes some custom wood ones that could be spec'd to provide the pass through tamping, without removing the funnel, that you're interested in.

<image>
<image>
<image>
Agree with you, the material must be food-grade, 304 stainless steel is better! Easy clean and safety

walt_in_hawaii (original poster)

#52: Post by walt_in_hawaii (original poster) »

cebseb wrote:One does not simply watch The Punisher then go to bed.
OK Sebastian, you got me. I may have fondled the AR10 before going to bed :)

That is a nice funnel above... obviously tamp through design. But its a little skimpy on the inner diameter... do you ever get a shower of grounds when you take it off after, say, an aggressive WDT?

#53: Post by walt_in_hawaii (original poster) »

uh oh... 2nd picture down, you can see the funnel sitting off to one side (the downhill side on the right). not your fault, its the mass produced funnel that has to fit 15 million variations of pf sizes out there...

#54: Post by walt_in_hawaii (original poster) »

Portafilter (HQ14)

I ground a high speed blank to approximate the contour of the pf lip:

meh

The delrin is cut to about 3" diameter and the angle I chose for the funnel is 45 degrees. No particular reason why... but 60 looked too steep and 30 looked ok, 45 is symmetrical so I used that. The new form tool is used to cut a lip into it that should accommodate the pf:

The pf is offered up to it to check fit:

The funnel is cut off from the rest of the delrin and flipped around to work on the inside:

The inner surface of the funnel is cut and the center is widened to 2.306" since my tamp is 2.304":

#55: Post by walt_in_hawaii (original poster) »

Sorry, the white delrin is SUPER difficult to photograph, it doesn't reflect the light and its very difficult to get it to show contours...
the finished funnel:

Hard to see, but the fit on the inside from the side of the pf to the inner lip of the funnel is a very, very tight fit. You cannot squeeze anything in there, so there should be no grounds in it at all after WDT:

And lastly, here is a detail shot trying to get the shadow to show the form of the inner lip:

3cordcreations

#56: Post by 3cordcreations »

Looking good :D

Let's see how it works!
A three cord strand is not easily broken...

#57: Post by walt_in_hawaii (original poster) »

Thanks Roger!
I tried it this morning but didn't take pics. Will do a few when I get home tonight... it worked ok, but although the tamp did pass through, it was a little sticky. I've taken a couple thousandths off the inner diameter, will see how that makes it feel tonight. It is SUCH a relief not having to do the "rotational tilt" thing to try to keep the grounds inside the basket while stirring. BUT... its one more step in a basket prep routine and ANOTHER thing to keep clean (maybe I should have chosen black delrin instead?).

I still have another one to make for the single serve basket...

#58: Post by walt_in_hawaii (original poster) »

Single serving funnel cut out this morning...

This is a much more complex shape. Here, the inside surface is cut:

This is the single pf next to the new funnel:

The tamper is cut down to about 1.605" diameter... it is JUST a pass through fit but I think its a little tight, probably have to work on the clearance a little as the delrin sort of 'bounces back' when its so thin at the bottom of the lip, doesn't want to cut cleanly.

first try, 8g of aceh:

Sigh. have to work on it. This one choked the machine.

Jake_G
Team HB

#59: Post by Jake_G »

:P
LMWDP #704

#60: Post by walt_in_hawaii (original poster) »

Hahahahaha, good find, Jake. Bottom of the cracker jack box?
Careful.... Keep it up and you might have an easy, fruitful life!