Portable electric flat burr grinder project - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
walt_in_hawaii

#11: Post by walt_in_hawaii »

welcome to the coffee conundrum. people without imagination see it as pay X to get Y. Its rarely that. Yes, you do have to pay a reasonable price for good beans, but the rest is kinda wide open to your imagination and certainly within the reach of most, even those of very modest means. welcome, and have a good journey.

yokusan

#12: Post by yokusan »

Nice idea!

However, I would seriously consider EK43-preground high quality coffee packed in small airtight bags to take with you during camping. I would find it much more convenient. See the following link for a test of preground coffee vs fresh ground, quite interesting results:

https://prima-coffee.com/learn/article/ ... rind-fresh

foreclosurecat (original poster)

#13: Post by foreclosurecat (original poster) »

yokusan wrote:... See the following link for a test of preground coffee vs fresh ground, quite interesting results:
https://prima-coffee.com/learn/article/ ... rind-fresh
You have me sold with that graph. Funny coincidence, the burrs came from the awesome folks at Prima Coffee. I can EK43 a 12oz bag and take to camp. But, part of the ritual is to roast a pound in the iron skillet using an IR thermometer to track the roast. For the campers who never seen coffee roast, it's really cool to hear and smell it. I still need the new EK43s in the forest.

Thanks for the terrific info... I will grind a bag for insurance. :wink:

NicaDon

#14: Post by NicaDon »

Best wishes on this project. I travel with a small backpack and toting a Lido is a bit of a pain and my long awaited Aergrind has very limited capacity. I would love to be able to buy something like this for making coffee for more than just me.
As n aside, Walt you are lucky you live in Hawaii now. I lived on North Shore Oahu in the 1970s when the only place that sold roasted beans was over an hour drive to Ward Warehouse. No green available and I wouldn't have known what to do with them anyway. I knew of maybe 5 places to get espresso on the island and that included my little Krups.
LMWDP #730