Pietro by Fiorenzato - vertical flat-burr manual grinders - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
iyayy

#11: Post by iyayy »

there is 58mm ssp for wilfa. :twisted:

malling

#12: Post by malling replying to iyayy »

But not designed for low handgrinding RPM so might not work, but if you have them in your drawer It might be fun trying it out, but I certainly won't rush out to get them before others has tried and noticed if these work.

The biggest problem I see with this thing is that you won't save a dime over the cheap Wilfa or Fellow Ode.

Anyway here it's shown in use, it definitely moves when grinding.

And their more official videos

truemagellen

#13: Post by truemagellen »

Fiorenzato are capable of making excellent burrs. Just as Mahlkonig (hemro), ditting and Compak. For instance i prefer ek43 burrs for espresso over 98 ssps in all types unless I want a super high clarity pourover.

Other flat burr hand grinders have been made with 64mm burrs and they took forever to grind with great force as well. The bonavita grinder had 64 SSP in them and the grinder was not practical.

The geometry of these burrs (particularly the breaking area) and the feed are likely to be critical to making this design work as a hand grinder and so trying to change the burr set would need to be designed to work within this limited framework.

Perhaps SSP can offer their own flat burr hand grinder one day.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#14: Post by jbviau »

malling wrote:Anyway here it's shown in use, it definitely moves when grinding...
It doesn't look particularly stable. Why is the base so narrow, for example?
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

LewBK

#15: Post by LewBK »

What's with the co-option/cultural appropriation of rap music/hip hop in the first Instagram video for a product clearly designed for coffee nerds, hipsters and yuppies? It's an interesting development for sure, but it looks like a fan to me.

iyayy

#16: Post by iyayy »

looks like a wider 3d print base will be needed to place it higher and more stable?
im not fan of knocking my knuckles onto tables, and having used to nice walnut cone grip on 1z, that lever looks pure aesthetic and functions are afterthought.
also theres no mention of espresso grind time. burrs take exponentially longer to grind finer. eg timemore at 8clicks took me 3mins+, at 7 was more than 8.5mins..
interesting option regardless, if priced reasonably.

ojt

#17: Post by ojt »

Hm, so far looks like I'm staying with the Kinu until I have space for a Lagom or such.

The Pietro does not look stable, cranking seems janky which I guess should be expected, and the catch cup does not by the looks of it allow me to pour straight into portafilter.
Osku

malling

#18: Post by malling »

It's just her style, I think several of her video has that.

It's getting more and more normal for companies to use these "champs" to advertise certain products for a given segment. Whether this is successful is debatable but it is certainly the way to get the product out to the masses.

Yes it look very unstable and honestly enough for me not to consider it.

palica

#19: Post by palica »

The red one does remind me something... :roll:

thecoffeefield

#20: Post by thecoffeefield »

Love that many people here haven't used the grinder but are hating on it already.

I had a chance to play with this at the NY Coffee Festival last Sunday. Yes, if you are trying to grind with the grinder on a table or something like that then it's not perfectly stable, a 3D printed base or some other accessory that I'm sure the internet will be quick to produce should help solve this. However, the grinding mechanism and arm are not janky at all. Grinding was very smooth and easy. Shots tasted fantastic using an Ascaso Baby T that they had at the show. Also it's not too heavy if you would like to travel with it. For a little over $300 you get yourself a perfectly functioning manual flat burr grinders, without too many compromises.

The lady at the booth told me that it will come in the same colors as all the Fiorenzato grinders (e.g. black, white, etc.)