Pharos - Removing Grounds (voodoodaddy mod) - Page 11

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
bostonbuzz

#101: Post by bostonbuzz »

The pharos super-mod (next to voodoo's) is back with a vengeance! I've been super busy, but I found time to go to the hardware store and pick up some nuts as spacers which keep the bracket about 1mm off of the outer burrs. My hunch turned out to be correct, and getting the bracket off the burr makes all the difference in alignment. It was almost as easy to align as with the aluminum standoffs. (get everything loose, tighten bracket, tighten outer bolts, move inner burrs around, then fine tune with the four outer burr bolts).

I can't quite recommend this mod to anyone yet, since I haven't put it through the paces yet, but the alignment is perfect, and remained so after the grind, so things are looking good!

The E-61 bottomless pf doesn't quite fit inside because of the large handle, but hopefully I can make a little stand that a bottomless lever pf will sit in. Please ignore the music :). Grinding 18g of frozen super light drip coffee at espresso setting (100 degrees, hence the jumping around).
LMWDP #353

nxhefner

#102: Post by nxhefner »

I've been watching this thread for quite a while now. Impressive work! Where do you order Will's mod?

tamarian

#103: Post by tamarian »

John, this look very impressive! I can't see how the shaft was handled in the middle plate? Was Will bracket installed in the opposite direction and a cut was made through the plexiglass? Maybe more pics to explain what's going on? I'm very tempted :)

bostonbuzz

#104: Post by bostonbuzz »

@nxhefner: you'll have to PM a certain forum member who can be found on previous pages of this thread.
@tamarian: Correct, Will's bracket was installed upside down, and the plexiglass was cut and filed to fit. Furthermore, the bracket's bearing was installed reverse to make room for the inner bearing. Also, large stainless steel nuts were used to space the bearing slightly above the outer burr to make alignment easier/possible.

I CANNOT recommend this mod to anyone yet. In fact there is a good chance that I have destroyed my Pharos! :oops: What I have found so far is that alignment is super difficult, and static causes many grinds to shoot around the funnel onto the table. In the 2 shots that I've pulled, the first was without WDT and was terrible, and the second was WTD and mediocre hinting at poor alignment, but 2 shots is far from conclusive.

At this point it seems that Will's original mod would be a better option. The thing that put me off of that mod is that the mouth of the container is wide enough to make putting the grinds into a porta-filter difficult. If my alignment tests come out negative, I will have to try to get a new inner burrs and shaft, and if they are positive I will consider cutting out the middle of the bottom plate to fit a smaller stainless jar.

So, don't go chopping your pharos yet!
LMWDP #353

Eastsideloco

#105: Post by Eastsideloco »

The thing that put me off of that mod is that the mouth of the container is wide enough to make putting the grinds into a porta-filter difficult.
Dosing funnels eliminate that problem:

http://www.orphanespresso.com/OE-Espres ... c_324.html

http://www.orphanespresso.com/Wide-Mout ... _4064.html

bostonbuzz

#106: Post by bostonbuzz »

Well, then unless the static issues are solved with my mod, there is no improvement over Will's.

Here is a shot I just pulled with the pharos, like my 1st, it has some obvious channeling issues @24s (note, this is not user error I pull perfect shots with a SJ every day). In the second video, you see what I think is the problem, some movement in the shaft. There is no rub at 100 degrees and things seem pretty even, but it looks like one or both of the bearings are a bit fatigued from all my modding. Any thoughts? I'm not sure if I should replace the bearing or what?
LMWDP #353

drgary
Team HB

#107: Post by drgary »

I tried to do a budget version of Will's mod, keeping the original plastic bolt covers. The Pharos still works much better with his catch cup installed. But I'm having some difficulty keeping the burrs aligned.

I checked with Will and he recommends his aluminum bolt covers because they are more precisely cut and are crush proof so the bearing setting can be truly locked down. He's great to deal with and I'm excited I'll be using my Pharos at its best.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

BlrdFX

#108: Post by BlrdFX »

voodoodaddy wrote:The wait is over!! :twisted:
Will:

So how do I get on "The List" to get one of your very nice MOD packages?

Stephen

drgary
Team HB

#109: Post by drgary »

BlrdFX wrote:So how do I get on "The List" to get one of your very nice MOD packages?
It's easy. Go to one of his posts and send him a personal message. The PM link is under his profile.

This week I received the aluminum bolt covers and stainless steel long screws. I've just finished reassembling my Pharos and now it's really locked in alignment. The bolt covers are thick and won't distort at all. Rubber o-rings keep the bottom bolt covers in place and allow good tightening. The top bolt covers play a part in aligning the burrs. The bottom ones fasten on the lower ring that encircles the catch cup. The trick in tightening them down is to make sure you're pulling the bolt cover and the washer underneath outboard so the inner ring remains clear and the catch cup can slide in. This photo's for Bak Ta Lo who told me I needed the bolt covers. He was right. They're more than bling. They're functional.

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

BlrdFX

#110: Post by BlrdFX »

Gary:

Got the whole process going and Will contacted me about pricing. Since this is only the second hand crank coffee grinder I have purchased, and it is such a good one, I am pretty excited about it! My wife even commented about the videos of the Pharos that "It sure is quiet" compared to the motorized bean terror device I have been using :shock:

This coming week I will have the Pharos in my hand and then the modding begins :D I need to read the thread about the MOD again since the term "aluminum bolt covers" escapes me; I need to see one.

Stephen