Pharos mini-mod for grounds removal

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Sam

#1: Post by Sam »

So, like everyone who owns a Pharos, everything for me has been peaches and unicorns until it's time to get the grounds out. I haven't wanted to go full voodoodaddy (though I did get his adjustment knob and thrust bearing). I'd been holding a container against the bottom that ended up requiring some banging and inevitable caffeine-deprived accidental spillage, and somehow managed to generate more static than anything else.

So here was my quick solution. I took a mason jar lid (just the threaded piece - not the lid insert) and glued it to the bottom of the pharos using superglue in the lid's channel. The lid ring surrounds both the grind exit chute and the bearing, and doesn't get in the way of the rubber stabilizer ring at all. Then, when I'm done grinding, I just pop the cork out, screw on a small 4 ounce jar into the lid, shake the Pharos a few times, and get a perfectly fluffy jar of grounds with no static (I tried plastic first - bad idea.) Unscrew the jar, and I'm off to the races.

Along with a couple RDT spritzes, it seems (so far) to have totally eliminated the Pharos' desire to hold a mini-mosh pit in my kitchen to get the last few grams out.

If anyone's looking for an easy, you-probably-have-this-stuff-at-home-anyways mod, give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

Here's the gist of it (hard to take a picture of me shaking the grounds out...)

rittem1

#2: Post by rittem1 »

I may try this. I just got a new Pharos and I think this could be a pretty good option. Got a pic or video you want to share with us?
LMWDP #517

Sam (original poster)

#3: Post by Sam (original poster) »

I'll take a photo tonight - it's so simple and made a huge difference in being able to hold and shake it without worrying about showering my kitchen with grounds.

MNate

#4: Post by MNate »

Intriguing. I haven't minded that part of the Pharos but I wonder how easily the grounds would just fall into the attached jar as I grind it. Might mean I'd have to cut a hole out of the pull out cutting board I use to grind on... but it might work...

baldheadracing
Team HB

#5: Post by baldheadracing »

Great idea! - I think that I will combine this with the funnel wiper 3d-printed mod that was posted here previously and hopefully never have to shake my v2 again! :-)
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

gimpy

#6: Post by gimpy »

I use a four inch square Tupperware bowl that is about an inch high. That's about the right size to cover the hole and one or two of the feet and not stick out from the bottom of the grinder (so I don't lose/spill any of the grind). Then I can shake or pound away. :>)

Very little retention, normally less than one or two tenths of a gram.

Sam (original poster)

#7: Post by Sam (original poster) »

Added some pictures to try to clarify the "build" (i.e. glue it, screw it, be done with it).

The glass really does seem to eliminate a lot of the static issues I was having with a plastic container.

moreshots

#8: Post by moreshots »

Excellent idea you have
I went with a Compak e10 as I was tired of the grounds all over and still wanted conical burrs

rittem1

#9: Post by rittem1 »

Sam wrote:Added some pictures to try to clarify the "build" (i.e. glue it, screw it, be done with it).

The glass really does seem to eliminate a lot of the static issues I was having with a plastic container.
Okay so I did this mod last night and I've got to say I was a little skeptical but it's really quite cool and it really does work. I have the latest Pharos and it has all of about 12 ounces through it so I was a little hesitant to start super gluing things but I was already very tired of the mess so on with it. I weighed in and out and the first go I actually ended up with about .3 grams more than I weighed in so I obviously had some retention from prior grinds. Attaching the jar really allows you to give it a vigorous shake with out worrying about dusting your kitchen. I did leave a couple grams in on my third try but that was mainly from not shaking long enough. I also did RDT which still seems necessary.

Cool mod and thanks. The simplest ones sometimes end up being the best.
LMWDP #517

Shenrei

#10: Post by Shenrei »

I believe I mentioned in the other Pharos thread about the mason jars being a perfect fit. I use this method as well, except without the glue. I just stick the jar onto the bottom and shake the Pharos while holding it - since the jar is a perfect fit, there's no slippage and it's easy to shake.
- Tim