Pharos 2.0 upgrade kit--can upgraders share their experiences?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
doublehelix

#1: Post by doublehelix »

Watched the three OE videos on how to install the Pharos upgrade kit. Amazing that OE is offering this kit at such a reasonable price.

BUT-

Wondering if anyone has completed the upgrade and has any advice to share.

FWIW-- Doug and Barb really did a fine job showing how to do the upgrade and shared some trade secrets for alignments, as well. Neat!

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

My 1.1 => 2.0 kit was shipped yesterday; by the time USPS and Canada Post get the parcel to me it'll be spring (somewhere). I previously installed a Voodoo-daddy kit on my 1.0; from the videos, this install looks a lot easier, although I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to align as quickly as Mr. OE does in the videos.

When I aligned my 1.0, I never was able to link the burr rubbing noise to a location to tap. It was more like "let's try a tap at some random point and see what happens ..." and repeat. A lot :lol:.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

opother

#3: Post by opother »

I have one a version 1 (old version) to version 2 kit on it's way to me along with some aluminum sleeves to replace my older plastic ones and a new hopper just in case as well as the $1 dollar nylon thrust washer.

I would like to tell you how it works out but I'll have to at least wait till I get it.

coochchilli

#4: Post by coochchilli »

Received my 2.0 today. My other grinder is a 2003 Rancilio MD50 with fresh burrs (flat 64mm). The difference in grind quality between the two is significant. Visually they appear to be much more uniform, and way fluffier.

I've only pulled a few shots on it with a light roast so I don't really have it figured out yet, however, shots taste sweeter and the flavours are more distinct (if that makes sense) than with the MD50. Ill need a lot more more time to compare fully.

Convenience wise this grinder is amazing. Single dosing the MD50 was a nightmare. It would take a few minutes of sweeping the chute and doser to be able to get all the grinds out for each shot. With the new catch cup on the Pharos, I weigh out 18.0g of beans and I get out 18.0 in the cup. I haven't had time to experiment yet but it seems like WDT is unnecessary with the Pharos. RDT is definitely key for the static though.

My only complaint is due to my own lack of strength and the difficulty I experience when grinding light roasts. I am starting to get a technique down though so it's getting easier.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#5: Post by baldheadracing »

coochchilli wrote:... My only complaint is due to my own lack of strength and the difficulty I experience when grinding light roasts. I am starting to get a technique down though so it's getting easier.
I use a 2" spring clamp from Canadian Tire. It is quick to use and just wide enough for a typical kitchen countertop. It doesn't hold super-tight, but it helps me just enough for most roasts http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maste ... 4764p.html

For really light roasts, I use a Bessey S10 mini-vise as a clamp. This lightweight vise is useful for all kinds of things http://www.besseytools.com/en/product_d ... f800040023

There are also the OE bench dogs, but I have never got around to installing them :lol:

coochchilli

#6: Post by coochchilli »

baldheadracing wrote:I use a 2" spring clamp from Canadian Tire. It is quick to use and just wide enough for a typical kitchen countertop. It doesn't hold super-tight, but it helps me just enough for most roasts http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maste ... 4764p.html
Thanks, I'll definitely look into something like that. I think the new spring plate might interfere with the mini clamp but the other one should work

baldheadracing
Team HB

#7: Post by baldheadracing »

... or take the Pharos to Lee Valley or Princess Auto. Between the two stores, I'm sure they'll have something that'll work.

Exordium01

#8: Post by Exordium01 »

opother wrote:I have one a version 1 (old version) to version 2 kit on it's way to me along with some aluminum sleeves to replace my older plastic ones and a new hopper just in case as well as the $1 dollar nylon thrust washer.

I would like to tell you how it works out but I'll have to at least wait till I get it.
I ordered the same. A couple notes:

1. I had to use the plastic bolt covers on the top area between top plate and burr plate because the Al bolt covers were ~0.5mm too tall so I couldn't get the right burr-to-plate spacing. If I were doing it over again, I'd have gotten the new plastic hopper (the old one was just a translucent tube that Doug cut in his garage.

2. I also had to ream out the thrust washer because the ID was too small for the axle.

3. The new clamping ring uses a 3mm hex head instead of whatever shipped with the Pharos 1.0 and the old one doesn't quite get tight enough.

The hardest part of the upgrade is getting the burr off the old axle. Doug recommends getting a PVC pipe and a rubber mallet, but I used the edge of my butcher's block to support the burr while I hammered on the axle. I'm not 100% thrilled with my burr alignment

Jakus

#9: Post by Jakus »

I received my 1.1 -> 2.0 kit on Saturday and got a chance to do the conversion today. The how to videos on YouTube make the process pretty straightforward.

The only thing I may go back and tweak is the position of my bean hopper. I've got it shifted all the way to one side somehow and I seem to get a bean stuck on top of the burr occasionally. I'll see if it's enough of an issue to go back and fuss with.

I purchased the dosing funnel to go with the upgrade kit and I really like being able to grind straight into the portafilter basket.

I have notice just a very slight bit of grounds stuck to the lower bushing and bracket, but they are easily blown off and it is quite staticky in my kitchen at moment.

Overall I am very satisfied with the kit!

OldNuc

#10: Post by OldNuc »

I have #997 with the vododaddy catch cup mod and that is about the same amount of clingons that i get as well. A bounce on the counter get them all in the cup. I did not find it a significant issue.