Pharos 2.0 Update! - Page 11

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
viveur

#101: Post by viveur »

IMAWriter wrote:+1...you beat me to it. Doug recommends them, I've used them wit an earlier Pharos. They work perfectly, and, in fact make the turning easier. takes 5 minutes to install.
There's nowhere in my kitchen to install them (granite countertop) - I guess the chopping board method would work, but that relies on me having something to lever the chopping board against - and a big chopping board at that. Moreover, I'd need to pay for more shipping fees to get the bench dogs (did I mention, USPS are terrible for international shipping...).

A box to drop the pharos into might be easiest, since that still lets me sit with the pharos between my knees - speaking of which, I just discovered this thread:
[SOLD] Grinder stands for OE Pharos grinder

With the 2.0, one of those stands/boxes could be permanently attached to the grinder. Wood being smoother than the pharos means I might not even need a towel to wrap it in (the beans I use need a LOT of force).

sweaner

#102: Post by sweaner »

Here is a thread about one of the methods that I have used to help with Pharos grinding.

Pharos: Making Grinding Easier with a "Grinding Bar"
Scott
LMWDP #248

Advertisement
Ora

#103: Post by Ora »

For those of you with the 2.0, theres a lot of spillage of grinds when you remove the steel cup right? A lot of the grinds stick to the bottom of the grinding area (just above the cup) and get knocked down from jostling. I usually clean with a brush to get the grinds free over the sink, but i notice if i shake it a bit then turn the grinder handle, more grinds will fall out. I have to repeat quite a few times to get all the extra grind out. Is this the general experience everyone has?

maxbmello

#104: Post by maxbmello »

Are you using RDT? That will help a lot. When I'm done grinding I'll usually give the grinder a bounce or two and usually have minimal grounds clinging to the support bar and have a nice pile in the cup.

Javier

#105: Post by Javier »

Curious about anyone installing suction cups ("feet") to bottom plate of their Pharos 2.0. I am referring to suction cups similar to those used in some Arrarex Caravel.
LMWDP #115

nnmlrl

#106: Post by nnmlrl »

Suction cups may help a little. But I doubt they will be strong enough to hold the Pharos in place.

erik82

#107: Post by erik82 »

Search the HG1 thread for the Able2 Extreme mat. It will glue the Pharos to your countertop and make grinding a lot easier.

Edit: found one of the topics Suction feet for the HG-1?.

Advertisement
chappcc

#108: Post by chappcc »

I was using the bench dogs to hold the Pharos V2 to my work bench but I got tired of the grinding effort with light roasts, so I took a bit of an industrial approach to motorizing the grinder. Since I have this mounted on my work bench, I didn't need to consider esthetics. My espresso machine is in our basement kitchen next to the workroom and bench.
The motor is a 1/4hp 90 VDC motor. Pulleys were selected so that the grinder would be running at 60rpm.
Here are a couple of photos:

Capac

#109: Post by Capac »

Nice! Would love to see it in action.

ritternathan

#110: Post by ritternathan »

Ora wrote:For those of you with the 2.0, theres a lot of spillage of grinds when you remove the steel cup right? A lot of the grinds stick to the bottom of the grinding area (just above the cup) and get knocked down from jostling. I usually clean with a brush to get the grinds free over the sink, but i notice if i shake it a bit then turn the grinder handle, more grinds will fall out. I have to repeat quite a few times to get all the extra grind out. Is this the general experience everyone has?
If you wait about 30 seconds after grinding and knock the top of the Pharos with a spoon or something I find that most of the ground coffee ends up in the cup.