Performance Question - Kafatek Monolith Flat vs Mazzer Major with SSP

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Dpablo

#1: Post by Dpablo »

I presently have a DE1PRO v1.1 and a Compak K10, which I think has been great for most roasts. However, I know a flat burr set up is necessary to get the most out of light roasts, of which I've been buying more and more. That said, I have a decommissioned, unassembled Mazzer Major downstairs (doserless mod) that I could put together with new SSP burrs. Is this the preferred avenue to perhaps buying a Monolith Flat? Does anyone have any insight as to whether a well aligned Major w/SSP produces a similarly consistent grind to a Monolith?

Haskens

#2: Post by Haskens »

I doubt you would see too much of a difference in the cup...the major difference would be the workflow of a single dosing grinder vs a commercial grinder (assuming you single dose).

Advertisement
pcrussell50

#3: Post by pcrussell50 »

You should talk to Jake.

He has access to Monoliths. And he personally owns a Super Jolly with SSP burrs that he also precision aligned. He has lots of insights into your question.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Bmccall
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Bmccall »

Haskens wrote:I doubt you would see too much of a difference in the cup...the major difference would be the workflow of a single dosing grinder vs a commercial grinder (assuming you single dose).

I couldn't agree more.

Marcelnl

#5: Post by Marcelnl »

pcrussell50 wrote:You should talk to Jake.

He has access to Monoliths. And he personally owns a Super Jolly with SSP burrs that he also precision aligned. He has lots of insights into your question.

-Peter
can you point to a thread where he explained what he did? I have a micrometer dial yet don;t think it's useful as the teeth of the burrs make it wobble.
I checked the smooth plane inside the burrs with it and found it to be true to a very tight spec.
LMWDP #483

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#6: Post by mivanitsky »

For dark roasts, there will be little difference. For light roasts, Flat and MAX will be better.

Jake will be a good resource, as he has experience with Monoliths and other smaller burr aligned flat grinders

Dpablo (original poster)

#7: Post by Dpablo (original poster) replying to mivanitsky »

Could you explain why?

Advertisement
mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#8: Post by mivanitsky »

Alignment, burr size and design.

Unless you are drinking mostly well developed light roasts, and want to pull them at brew ratios <1:2.5, it may not be a difference that matters to you.

For the coffees that don't benefit from large, flat, hyper aligned grinder, I will very often use a MC3 instead.

Dpablo (original poster)

#9: Post by Dpablo (original poster) replying to mivanitsky »

Wouldn't 83mm burrs be larger than the Monolith Flat or is there something I'm missing?

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#10: Post by mivanitsky »

No. You are correct there, but my comments were inclusive of MAX.