Owner experience with Pharos manual coffee grinder by Orphan Espresso - Page 130

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
OldNuc

#1291: Post by OldNuc »

General statement applicable to any thrust bearing install. Use a high pressure lube. The usual product to use is a very small amount of any automotive grease. This is one of those things that is: if you can see it you used too much. There is not a real high load on that bearing but it needs a smooth surface to roll around on or it will drag.

Chert

#1292: Post by Chert »

Reading this thread I learned from OldNuc the importance of the race washers, but I had already ordered only one. I placed the thrust bearing on the brass bearing, dabbed the lube and laid the race washer on top then the threaded lock collar. I think for this purpose the brass bearing below will suffice, I hope so anyway.
LMWDP #198

mathof

#1293: Post by mathof »

OldNuc wrote:General statement applicable to any thrust bearing install. Use a high pressure lube. The usual product to use is a very small amount of any automotive grease. This is one of those things that is: if you can see it you used too much. There is not a real high load on that bearing but it needs a smooth surface to roll around on or it will drag.
Thank you. The next time I mount the bearing, I'll be sure to do that.

Matt

OldNuc

#1294: Post by OldNuc »

Should make it function better.

JDolezal

#1295: Post by JDolezal »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems as though Will isn't making his pharos mods any longer; he hasn't made any contact on HB in a while, and I can't find an email/contact information (his profile appears to have been deleted). Does that mean those with a stock pharos are out of luck as far as these mods go? Or has anyone had success implementing them on their own?

taildraggin

#1296: Post by taildraggin »

I got the roller bearing because I was mildly concerned that the collar might catch the bearing somehow and spin the bearing (low prob of that happening, really; bearing top is broad enough to prevent). I don't think it has any practical advantage over a plain washer. It's "mechanically cute", though, so I kept it.

There is no load on the thrust bearing/washer "sandwich", and it might also be 'fluffy' (slop) till settled in, adding some inconsistency (not enough for me to care, but....). I don't lube it at all; there is almost zero load on it (the weight of your hand, basically) and there is some risk of tasting/smelling bearing grease, which is "mobile". There are 'food greases', if nec.

OldNuc

#1297: Post by OldNuc »

The thrust bearing serves a purpose if you apply down pressure to the crank to aid holding the grinder in place. If you have grease migration you have used way too much.