Owner experience with Orphan Espresso's Fixie manual coffee grinder

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jbviau
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by jbviau »

The Fixie arrived! I've got mine on the garage floor on a towel in "quarantine" for a little bit. It's tiny! Looking forward to trying it out later and reading everyone's thoughts/first impressions...

"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Yan

#2: Post by Yan »

Nice...the shim keeper looks cool, is it aluminum case?

realbrotherjay
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by realbrotherjay »

Can't wait to hear your experience! Definitely interested as a camping/travel grinder since my espresso gear stays at home. Also, nice choice of coffees :D I had that Gesha last year and it was phenomenal

jja619

#4: Post by jja619 »

I got mine in today too!

My new travel kit.

The main chamber fits in the Aeropress, but not the catch jar.

It's about 70 g lighter than the Aergrind.

This is with just the medium disc only.

Took ~45 seconds longer than my Vario BG at 5M (touch at 2Q).

I had been using an Aergrind, but I haven't been too impressed with its grind quality or speed. I used to have a Lido 3 which I loved, but it was a bit too large to have as a travel grinder.

It took a little longer than 30 seconds to grind 30 g. I forgot to actually time it this go around. Grind quality looked pretty good to the eye both as dry grounds and after brewing. Compared to my Vario, the brew time was longer though the grounds looked like they were a little coarser than my Vario at 5M.

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by baldheadracing »

Looks like one might be able to grind directly into an Aeropress and leave the catch cup at home.
What I'm interested in is my worst espresso being fantastic - James Hoffmann

jbviau
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by jbviau »

realbrotherjay wrote:Also, nice choice of coffees :D I had that Gesha last year and it was phenomenal
Thanks! Yeah, a local multi-roaster shop (Mane in Boca) had just gotten some in, so I bought it + a few others online to support them. Glad to hear I have something to look forward to!
Yan wrote:Nice...the shim keeper looks cool, is it aluminum case?
Yes, I believe so. It's a nice touch.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

nameisjoey

#7: Post by nameisjoey »

baldheadracing wrote:Looks like one might be able to grind directly into an Aeropress and leave the catch cup at home.
Whoa, super surprised by that! Seemed like per Barb's specs it wasn't going to work. That's good news!

Stevebcoffee

#8: Post by Stevebcoffee »

Grind looks quite coarse for a medium spacer. Obviously once the burrs are seasoned it will be different.
Good news about fitting inside an Aeropress - that was unexpected

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by baldheadracing »

nameisjoey wrote:Whoa, super surprised by that! Seemed like per Barb's specs it wasn't going to work. That's good news!
I was just going by the pics posted by others - my Fixie is in-transit.
What I'm interested in is my worst espresso being fantastic - James Hoffmann

jpender

#10: Post by jpender »

Stevebcoffee wrote: Good news about fitting inside an Aeropress - that was unexpected

Fitting inside the Aeropress cylinder isn't the same as fitting inside the plunger like the Porlex and Aergrind. So it will result in a bulkier travel kit.