Owner experience with Orphan Espresso's Fixie manual coffee grinder - Page 10

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#91: Post by baldheadracing »

Just wanted to post in this thread that the 1Zpresso travel case works with this grinder.

Josh first posted about this case in a Comandante thread: Awesome and cheap case for Comandante . This is his pic:

The grinder space in the case is just a little too short, as can be seen in Josh's pic above. However, the case's divider is about the same thickness as the handle, leading to this:

Note also the (current?) case design also has a little fabric flap (flipped in the photo) that covers the top of the grinder.

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#92: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

^^^ That's clever! I'll try it.

I see OE has released their own travel case as well: https://www.oehandgrinders.com/fixie-gr ... -case.html
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Espresso Vision: the perfect cup of coffee starts with understanding your roast
Sponsored by Espresso Vision
baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#93: Post by baldheadracing » replying to jbviau »

Argh! I knew that they were thinking of a Fixie case so I had a page-checker running on the Fixie parts page to alert me of any new items ... but they posted the new case and pinch bowl to the "Coffee Accessories" index page - the only grinder accessories in that whole section of the website. Argh.

Yan

#94: Post by Yan »

jbviau wrote:^^^ That's clever! I'll try it.

I see OE has released their own travel case as well: https://www.oehandgrinders.com/fixie-gr ... -case.html
Nice size for Fixie without reassemble the axle cone burr and handle...the xtra room very useful for coffee beans & small brush.

imipolexg

#95: Post by imipolexg »

Hey all. Happy owner of Lido 3 et for many years. No significant issues except that its just too heavy to take travelling/backpacking. I keep it in my car camping bin with the fry pan and kettle.

Ordered Fixie last week and arrived in 2 days. Lovely packaging, nice very simple well made and intuitive setup. I don't 'get' why side load is best but I also don't mind it. I love its size and weight and how easy it is to clean out. FWIW I totally don't understand why you guys want a travel case that weighs so much. Carbon fiber and titanium item in a dyneema bag and you wish to wrap it in heavy plastic, fabric and glue? Absurd. The fixie is well made, my case is a large ziplock that also holds filters and beans.

Anyway, made a cup of drip at home with Vivace Ekende, used medium disk and all the spacers. I use hario filters with a plastic melitta cone. Terrific, no objection at all. I've got pretty large hands and think when grinding the narrow diameter is a lot easier to hold than my lido. Size is really perfect. I use half fixie-cup of beans for a cup of coffee which is ~22g.

Went backpacking this weekend and brought the fixie along. Slept at trailhead and made 3 coffees on saturday morning. Sunday morning I made 3 more and after the first I noticed the rubber cup holder flange was broken loose. I've followed the instructions pressing straight on, small twist, then angled pull to remove. Literally 8 cup on/off and the rubber/plastic flange is broken. I think issue is that it was below freezing in the mountains which makes the flange inflexible.

I like the grind quality, I love all the fussy little details but then this cast piece breaking so quickly is just a fail. I'm pretty sure its the wrong material to use. Perhaps would have been better to use a thick silicon o-ring and call it a wear part. I still like the device but expect the rest of the flanges will eventually break. Wondering how I might hold the cup in place while grinding, perhaps I'll source my own silicon o-rings and place them between the broken gaskets.

jtbenson
Supporter ★

#96: Post by jtbenson »

imipolexg wrote: ...[excerpting the below for comment]
I like the grind quality, I love all the fussy little details but then this cast piece breaking so quickly is just a fail. I'm pretty sure its the wrong material to use. Perhaps would have been better to use a thick silicon o-ring and call it a wear part. I still like the device but expect the rest of the flanges will eventually break. Wondering how I might hold the cup in place while grinding, perhaps I'll source my own silicon o-rings and place them between the broken gaskets.
this would be great feedback for oe, did you contact them with this concern/suggestion?

i too own a fixie---my first oe product---but i only have home use experience with it thus far. I packed it for an overnight canoe trip a few weeks back, but left the bag it was in---along with aeropress and coffee beans---on the kitchen counter after I pulled it last minute to double check everything was indeed in it :roll:

imipolexg

#97: Post by imipolexg »

jtbenson wrote:this would be great feedback for oe, did you contact them with this concern/suggestion?
Yeah I might. But unit is made overseas, long lead time, there really isn't much they can do in the short term so figured its good for people to know there's an actual problem, even if its minor. The thing is small and light and grinds really well.

Always weirded me out that people would have things built without giving them a thorough flogging. Could be the seal material changed or its oxidized or something, but looks to me like a straight implementation error.

Its still the travel grinder of my dreams, no regrets so far.

Cerini Coffee & Gifts: official US importer for Olympia Express
Sponsored by Cerini Coffee & Gifts
baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#98: Post by baldheadracing »

My first seal tore within a week or so; I ordered a replacement.

Now I do not twist; I just push the catch-cup on. No torn seal since.

In my case, it was user error. To be clear, I'm not saying anything about your situation. In the video manual, Doug turns the catch cup a very little bit, and only after seating the catch cup. I was turning while pushing, and turning about 25 degrees. He turns maybe 5 degrees.

imipolexg

#99: Post by imipolexg » replying to baldheadracing »

It could be I messed up but I believe I followed the instructions, just a small twist to unload the gasket. I am pretty sure in my case its because the device was out in freezing weather all night, the gasket gets hard like pvc. I wasn't snow camping or anything, it was just a bit below freezing.