Owner experience with Orphan Espresso's Fixie manual coffee grinder - Page 9

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
sems

#81: Post by sems »

Fixie is not suitable for dialing espresso from my experiments. I used it till my Niche arrived but I had to improvise a lot to dial in correctly including 3d printed disks sanded down to different materials cut as disks. As a travel or for anything but espresso I love it! Pretty easy to go back and forth between aeropress - v60 - french press and the materials feels so nice.

greg986547

#82: Post by greg986547 »

Received my Fixie a few weeks ago. really impressed with what it did for my coffee away from home. I've been traveling with a Helor 101 and an Aeropress for the last year or so and have always been pretty happy with the Helor. That changed with the arrival of the Fixie. I only do Aeropress and V60 and for those methods I'm getting a much improved cup with better clarity and balance. I seem to have more ability to change the acidity, bringing the "brightness" up or down with only small adjustments to ratio and extraction time. There's a few things I don't like as well like the grind effort and the clumsy nature of the fill plug. Minor quirks considering the improvement in the cup. The Helor just made its way into a Craigslist ad.

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#83: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

^^^ Glad to hear it! Interesting. The Helor is one grinder I haven't ever tried out. I guess I'm surprised you noticed such a big difference between the two.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

greg986547

#84: Post by greg986547 »

The Helor seems to get consistently high marks for espresso, but has had a fair amount of feedback claiming excessive fines once the grind goes into Aeropress and coarser. I didn't realize this until searching the forums for info after my first comparison with the Fixie, it makes perfect sense with what I noticed in the cup and I'm kind of embarrassed that I was enjoying a relatively muddy cup for the last year or so when on the road!

Yan

#85: Post by Yan replying to greg986547 »

The Helor have 2 Burr type set, conventional/brew and Contemporary/Espreso, is it all the Burr had execive fines?

greg986547

#86: Post by greg986547 »

I only tried the conventional burrs that shipped with my Helor. The point is that for the Aeropress and V60 the Fixie was immediately in it's comfort zone producing cups that were markedly better.

Scott5067

#87: Post by Scott5067 »

Hello All,

I'm attempting to get an idea of the overall grinding experience on the Fixie compared to my Lido 2. I enjoy my Lido, but grinding on the finer settings can be a lengthy process. More specifically, the hand holding the grinder tends to get fatigued, the grinding itself is always fairly easy. With this in mind, is it a fair assumption that the smaller/lighter Fixie would elimate some (a noticable amount) of hand holding fatigue?

Update (5/15/21):
I ordered the grinder on a Friday evening, paid less than $10 shipping, and received it Monday afternoon. Kudos to OE and USPS.

I'm happy to report I'm not experiencing the fatigue I was alluding to in the original post. This grinder is no more difficult than other manual grinders I've used. In fact, I'm constantly surprised it uses the same burr set as the Lido 2 because it feels more (comfortablely) aggressive. The grinding time never feels too long or too difficult. The grip is comfortable. The catch cup seal is fantastic. The cup attaches and releases effortlessly.

I've brewed with the following settings: Fine Disk (FD) alone and FD + 1mm thru FD + 6mm shim combinations. All brews have been with an Aeropress using paper, metal, or a Prismo filter.

If you're looking for a manual travel grinder this one is definitely worth consideration.

Update (5/2/21):
I'll be able to answer my own question soon enough. I've ordered the Fixie and should have it by about Wednesday of this week.

CoffeeNoob2

#88: Post by CoffeeNoob2 »

Hi guys,
I just got my Fixie a week ago. I am also a Lido 3 owner. Do you find that there is slight side to side burr wobble with the fixie?
Thanks.

JJ420

#89: Post by JJ420 »

fine disk + both big shims + just one of the two smaller shims = absolutely the way to go for espresso. :wink:

I overdose the basket slightly to compensate for the lack of stepless fine adjustment, and am very happy to report here that this thing has knocked it out of the park for espresso! Truly beautiful pours right back to back on the first try with this grinder. I am extremely pleased and that really is an understatement. :D
maybe the real satoshi is all the friends we find along the way. LMWDP #688

baldheadracing
Team HB

#90: Post by baldheadracing »

CoffeeNoob2 wrote:Hi guys,
I just got my Fixie a week ago. I am also a Lido 3 owner. Do you find that there is slight side to side burr wobble with the fixie?
Thanks.
Yes,

IIRC, OE made the bottom bearing slightly bigger to hopefully prevent people from unintentially damaging the bearing. Oiled bronze bearings can be worn by repeated removal/insertion of the (much harder) axle unless the insertion is done very carefully - for example, with a jig.

Arguably, one could fit tighter bearings with a captive axle (unremoveable). However, there are pluses and minuses with every solution. The Fixie was really designed with light weight in mind - although I got mine due to Carbon Fibre :mrgreen: .
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada