Owner experience with Orphan Espresso's Fixie manual coffee grinder - Page 8

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
sems

#71: Post by sems »

jbviau wrote:Sam, did you find the advanced adjustment info. on OE's site?
Yes, I went over all three manuals (2 written 1 video) multiple times to see if I missed anything. Since the advanced manual talks about Turkish or near Turkish grind without any additional shims, I expected the espresso to land somewhere between the Fine disk and Fine disk + all shims. I wanted to know if experience is similar for people who tried Fixie for espresso grinds.

Lennart

#72: Post by Lennart »

I have 3 different handgrinder For Turkish grinding ,Zosen,Timemore slim,Orpham Fixie. The best handgrinder for Turkish is Orpham Fixie.

jtferraro

#73: Post by jtferraro »

Just received my Fixie yesterday. Opened it up and checked it out today - I'm impressed. Can't wait to use it tomorrow morning. The primary impetus in ordering it was being without power for 4+ days last week, due to tropical storm Isaias. Like everybody else here, I only purchase whole bean coffee. Until now, my only grinders were electric (Vario & Atom 75). I plan to also use the Fixie while traveling and may even bring it into the office...if I ever return (2021). Thanks for this very informative thread! I found Doug & Barb's YouTube instruction manual helpful too. Looking forward to sharing my continued (usage) impressions.

I should add that I'm a cyclist who actually owns a 'fixie', or fixed gear bicycle, and I have an appreciation for carbon fiber and titanium (and Delrin).

Thank you,
-Jeff

jtferraro

#74: Post by jtferraro »

So far, so good. I made several Aeropress coffees using 15g of beans and the middle disk plus one large tuner shim. I may experiment by adding a small shim too, for Aeropress. I also plan to give the Chemex a 'go'. Fun.
-Jeff

jtferraro

#75: Post by jtferraro »

Today I swapped out the thick shim for a thin one, poured 50g (max capacity) of beans in the Fixie, and ground away. It took a total of about a minute and 40 seconds. I stopped in between to transfer 2/3rds to 3/4s of the grounds from the container, into my Chemex (minus 3g, since I decided on 47g for my Chemex). One thing I love about hand grinding is the wonderful smell! I love the simplicity of this grinder. The famous quote, 'Simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication' comes to mind. The coffee was great too, as expected.
-Jeff

jtferraro

#76: Post by jtferraro »

Ground for French Press today, with thin disk and thin shim (will likely try thick shim next time, as it could have been coarser). 47g again, but I ground faster this time at one minute, 10 seconds. I stopped grinding after the minute mark, tapped the grounds container and carefully removed it to dump grounds into my Frieling FP. I actually think I could have possibly fit all 47g in the grounds container. Coffee was good, but could have been a tad stronger (medium roast), so I'll likely increase this particular beans dose next time. The Fixie continues to be deliver. Aeropress, check, Chemex, check, French Press, check...maybe I'll try drip tomorrow.
-Jeff

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#77: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

Welcome to the club, Jeff! Glad you're enjoying it. For press, over the years I've migrated finer with my grind--to the point where you kind of have to squint to distinguish it from a drip grind. Haven't tried this with the Fixie yet.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

jtferraro

#78: Post by jtferraro replying to jbviau »

Thank you, Joshua...and all the contributors to this thread who helped 'seal the deal' with persuading me to go ahead and pull the trigger on the Fixie. Yes, I'm with you re: FP grind becoming finer. Ever since I sold my Encore and swapped the stock ceramic (espresso) burrs in my Vario for the steel (filter) burrs and recalibrated it, per Baratza's instructions, I haven't been able to go too course anymore...but don't miss it. My Frieling FP still filters the finer grind just fine.
-Jeff

jtferraro

#79: Post by jtferraro »

Drip, check, V60, check. I'm starting to miss using my Baratza Vario with steel burrs after all this hand grinding! ;-) Going forward, I'll likely exclusively use the Fixie for travel and possibly bring it to the office (if I ever go back). To wrap up, I'm very pleased with this purchase and highly recommend the OE Fixie for anybody considering a lightweight, travel-ready hand grinder.

Haven't used it for Moka Pot or espresso yet but may at least give the former a 'go' soon...we'll see.
-Jeff

dwillym

#80: Post by dwillym »

Great thread, haven't found many discussing the Fixie yet. Would love some advice on the Fixie vs. the Lido E-T.

My current grinder is a Baratza Encore which I know isn't ideal for espresso. I'm planning on upgrading big time to a Niche when they restock in October. I also have a Cafelat Robot on order b/c I want to start doing manual espresso at home. Until the new grinder arrives, I'd like to get a hand grinder that will a) help me get good results on the Robot until I get a countertop grinder upgrade; and b) still be useful to travel with for other brewing purposes as well (mainly Kalita pourover or Aeropress).

Any thoughts on the Fixie vs. Lido E-T as the better all-rounder?

Thanks!