Owner experience with Orphan Espresso's Fixie manual coffee grinder - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
sonnylowe

#21: Post by sonnylowe »

I don't have a Fixie, but I really like using a Silicone Cupcake Liner to load my Apollo Grinder. It flexes so you can control the flow beans a bit easier, it might work really well for the small hole in the Fixie!?!?

I know this adds another component to the grinder, but it would most likely fit into the catch can for travel.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/24-Pack-Reus ... gIZY_D_BwE
LMWDP #597

jbviau
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by jbviau »

^^^ Ah, interesting idea.
jja619 wrote:Also, I tried the side-hip grinding method that I used to do with the Lido 3 today. Don't do that. On my second go with that method, the pressure on my hip loosened the catch jar and spilled half of my dose onto the floor...
Oops. You must be pressing harder than I do, as I grind from the hip and haven't had an accident. Or the grounds cup might not have been fully seated? Anyway, I suppose making little circles using both hands away from the body is a safer bet.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

tgappmayer
Supporter

#23: Post by tgappmayer »

Following closely - I'm anxious to hear what real-world experience is like. Anyone else looking at the Fixie as a backpacking grinder? I'm curious how durable the thing is, especially when being packed around.

jbviau
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by jbviau »

I think this would work great in the wild since it's so small, light, and [seemingly] robust. The Garrotts told me it would be incredibly difficult to break the carbon fiber; if anything, you might just be able to chip the surface. The titanium grounds cup could get a dent along the bottom edge if you really tried, apparently. Worst-case scenario: you could always attempt to fix it, do without it, or buy a new cup (link). Concerning the cup, it does have a small amount of give, for what it's worth, i.e. you can make it flex slightly if you hold the rim and squeeze hard.

Bunkmil

#25: Post by Bunkmil »

Thanks for the review!
  • Can the unused washers be "stored" under the top nut or do you have to keep them elsewhere?
  • I know that it's not designed toward espresso but does it still work in that range?
  • How hard is it to crank?
Thanks!

jbviau
Supporter ♡

#26: Post by jbviau »

Bunkmil wrote:Can the unused washers be "stored" under the top nut or do you have to keep them elsewhere?
The only way to store them all up there under the top nut is to remove the handle and store that somewhere else. IIRC it's how the grinder is shipped.
Bunkmil wrote:I know that it's not designed toward espresso but does it still work in that range?
Haven't tried it yet. I expect it would work fine in a pinch, especially if you're comfortable getting "close enough" in terms of grind and then playing with other variables like dose to fine-tune.
Bunkmil wrote:How hard is it to crank?
Medium? The burr isn't super aggressive. No issues so far with respect to this aspect.

jbviau
Supporter ♡

#27: Post by jbviau »

A few pics and a video for anyone interested tonight...

First, the business end of the grinder. I like that smooth burr carrier under the cone burr. Not much in the way of nooks and crannies for chaff to collect in.

Second, the teflon shims seem to curl up a bit once you've used them. Not sure why. It shouldn't matter because they go right back to flat as a pancake when they're sandwiched between a disk and the handle in actual use.

Third, a quick video demonstrating just how easily the shaft + cone burr assembly comes out. Please ignore my dry hands! Too much washing?

Yan

#28: Post by Yan »

jbviau wrote:A few pics and a video for anyone interested tonight...

First, the business end of the grinder. I like that smooth burr carrier under the cone burr. Not much in the way of nooks and crannies for chaff to collect in.

Are the outer burr (Fix Burr) can be release same as the Lido series?
So the grinder no need for alignment after cleaning the rotation & fix burr?

Thanks

jbviau
Supporter ♡

#29: Post by jbviau »

Hi, Yan. If you remove the shaft + cone burr as I did in the video above, the alignment isn't disturbed at all. If you remove the two screws holding the outer burr carrier (black ring) in place for some reason, you'll need to realign. I'm told this is easier than on the Lidos since there's less "movement" built in for alignment purposes. That said, removing the outer burr carrier isn't recommended. I certainly see no good reason to remove it. I can clean to my heart's content without that sort of complete dissassembly. Hope I've answered your question!

Yan

#30: Post by Yan » replying to jbviau »

It looks very well design, easy to use & maintenance....
Nice... thanks for the info...