Owner experience with LIDO cupping coffee grinder by Orphan Espresso - Page 54

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
doubleOsoul

#531: Post by doubleOsoul » Mar 07, 2013, 3:51 pm

drgary wrote:I recently paid for some Lido servicing, including an upgraded alignment and now find it has a wide espresso range. My Lido just showed me something my Prestina can do. In the fine range but short of Turkish (which it can surely do) it can grind for small, dense, juicy, sweet ristrettos like this one. I let it go a bit blonde but there are no "off" tastes of this home-roasted Brazilian from Klatch. Now my great, big Prestina commercial lever can imitate a Caravel. 8)

<image>

That is mouth watering!
Ways to win my heart:buy me coffee, make coffee, be coffee LMWDP #354

dumpshot

#532: Post by dumpshot » Mar 12, 2013, 2:17 am

Nothing earth shattering here, but I would feel remiss if I didn't relay how much I am enjoying my new Lido. I have been using the Pharos for almost two years for espresso. I always stuck with my ancient Solis Maestro (bought it new in 2001 or 2002) for drip. I knew that I was limiting myself and have wanted the Lido since it came out. Finally got it and...wow.

From the first V60 cup, everything has changed. The grinds are beautiful to look at. They all look alike. I am not used to that for drip. The first thing I noticed in the brewing process (2 turns CCW, btw) was the dramatic increase in aromatics as I poured. This is one of my favorite things about pourover brewing. The resulting cups have been flavorful, juicy, balanced. I tried going coarser (2.25 CCW) 'just to see' and realized that I may have hit the nail on the head with my original setting.

I read many posts about how pleasant it is to grind with the Lido. I guess I didn't believe them for some reason. Now I tend to agree. The Pharos is a hockey game. And I love hockey. The Lido is a round of golf.

Good stuff. Am energized by the possibilities.

Pete
LMWDP #484

FotonDrv

#533: Post by FotonDrv » Mar 12, 2013, 9:15 am

dumpshot wrote:I read many posts about how pleasant it is to grind with the Lido. I guess I didn't believe them for some reason. Now I tend to agree. The Pharos is a hockey game. And I love hockey. The Lido is a round of golf.
Pete
Pete, thanks for the Lido assessment and the good analogy! Golf is better in the morning....
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

TheSunInsideYou

#534: Post by TheSunInsideYou » Mar 22, 2013, 9:32 pm

I know I'm a bit late to the show here, but I finally placed my order and received my LIDO yesterday. I've been working too much and haven't been able to mess around with it TOO much, but the consistency I'm getting just breaking in the burrs is incredible. It blows me away. I find myself staring at it suspiciously, waiting for the punchline. I can't wait for my day off when I can really take her for a spin and get all screwed up on caffeine. :lol: :roll:

-Dave-
Caffeine is proof that God loves us.

jbviau
Supporter ♡

#535: Post by jbviau » Mar 22, 2013, 9:57 pm

Dave! Awesome--glad you took the plunge. At some point I'd love to see an informal comparison of its grind consistency with what you get from whatever you use for brewed coffee at work.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

TheSunInsideYou

#536: Post by TheSunInsideYou » replying to jbviau » Mar 23, 2013, 10:33 pm

Absolutely. We're using the Tanzania for PO and Clover (and have a Ditting for other grinding), so it would be quite the test.

-Dave-
Caffeine is proof that God loves us.

jwolley

#537: Post by jwolley » Mar 26, 2013, 7:54 pm

Just wanted to show off my travel-size Lido.

I cut two inches out of the midsection. I also re-worked the handle a little so it no longer requires tools to remove. Still looking for a shorter metal catch jar, then I'll be all set. :D

jbviau
Supporter ♡

#538: Post by jbviau » Mar 26, 2013, 9:41 pm

^^^ Nice work, Jason! How much does the hopper hold now?
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

jwolley

#539: Post by jwolley » Mar 27, 2013, 12:09 am

Thanks! It holds 50 grams now.

Patty

#540: Post by Patty » Apr 06, 2013, 8:36 pm

jwolley wrote:Just wanted to show off my travel-size Lido.

<image>

I cut two inches out of the midsection. I also re-worked the handle a little so it no longer requires tools to remove. Still looking for a shorter metal catch jar, then I'll be all set. :D
Nice! Now, what did you do with handle? I just got a Lido, and am looking for an option to make it easier to remove the handle. Taking it on a trip in a few weeks.......