Orphan Espresso OG Grinder - Page 10

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
spressomon

#91: Post by spressomon »

Just got back from 9-day off-the-grid camping & Nevada wildland explore and put the new Lido OG to the espresso test and I'm liking this grinder! It does require 200-ish revs for 20-22g of medium roast beans but low on torque effort. I probably have 4lbs now ground through the OG and flavor is improving, just like every other new grinder, hand or electric, I have used.

The micro-adjust is very handy for dialing in espresso grind level too.

Overall, other than my bigger MG-1, its my favorite hand grinder of all I've owned/used to date.
No Espresso = Depresso

Yan

#92: Post by Yan »

spressomon wrote:the new Lido OG to the espresso test and I'm liking this grinder! I probably have 4lbs now ground through the OG and flavor is improving, just like every other new grinder, hand or electric, I have used.

Overall, other than my bigger MG-1, its my favorite hand grinder of all I've owned/used to date.
Do you still have the Apollo? One simple question is the OG better in the cup vs the Apollo? (Espresso).
Thanks

spressomon

#93: Post by spressomon replying to Yan »

Yes, I still have the Apollo...it will be listed for sale soon. I have not done any meaningful, fully objective (i.e. "blind") taste tests between the Lido OG and the Apollo.
No Espresso = Depresso

Yan

#94: Post by Yan »

Glad to hear the good impression, so the new mechanisms definitely improve the result (Same burr for all Lido Series), salute to Doug and Barb...

wojtowip

#95: Post by wojtowip »

So I just got my Lido OG back from Barb after checking it out. Looks like some of the friction/resistance in turning was related to needing some oil on the upper needle bearing. It's running much smoother now.

I've been using the 1Zpresso JE Plus while waiting for the OG to come back and I've not been able to get it dialed in as well as I was able to get the OG dialed in. No idea why, since they seem to be both well build grinders. I'm guessing it's more related to burr geometry. The Lido OG is much easier to dial in and produces what tastes to me like a better cup of espresso (more balanced with a good balance of good flavors). The JE cup comes out either too fast and kind of bland or if the flow is good, the cup seems to be a bit more bitter and less balanced. I was just not able to dial it in like I can the OG.

My concern with the burr being able to move down when you push on the shaft is still there, but the result in cup and consistency over the last few days makes me worry less about it. The main thing I take away is to avoid putting downward force on the handle while grinding to avoid this issue all together.

Overall very happy to have this grinder back. The JE was cleaned up and put away for the time being and I'm enjoying some fantastic espresso from the OG grinder.

As a note, I'm not using the bean plug anymore, just cover the hole up with my hand while grinding. Saves me some time not needing to open and close it each time and so far I didn't have any issues with grip.
LMWDP #694

Otago

#96: Post by Otago »

A tips and techniques video has been added to the Orphan Espresso channel at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws_3z9dGsFk

doug
Supporter ♡

#97: Post by doug »

Just another very happy OG customer. Have had several other hand grinders including the Lido 2. With the "2" it was usually too much of a workout; my partner at the time found it almost impossible to turn when grinding some of the harder espresso beans. But the OG is the perfect balance of gearing between turning a thousand times versus being barely able to turn the thing. It's just a joy to use, the barrel is much easier to grip, the micro-adjustnent for dialing-in is well executed, and I'm using it instead the Niche just because it's so easy and gives a more connected feel to the whole morning ritual.

Otago

#98: Post by Otago »

Just to add to the OE tips and tricks video, I think wojtowip's tip of dispensing with the bean loading port plug is a good time saver.

The other time saver is to take note of where the catch cup thread starts (and even mark this in some way) and where this aligns with the body thread. Mine happens to line up with the bean loading port. This removes what can be a slightly annoying fumble-about to start the thread.

Anyone have any other work flow improvers?

fortytwo

#99: Post by fortytwo »

doug wrote:Just another very happy OG customer. Have had several other hand grinders including the Lido 2. With the "2" it was usually too much of a workout; my partner at the time found it almost impossible to turn when grinding some of the harder espresso beans. But the OG is the perfect balance of gearing between turning a thousand times versus being barely able to turn the thing. It's just a joy to use, the barrel is much easier to grip, the micro-adjustnent for dialing-in is well executed, and I'm using it instead the Niche just because it's so easy and gives a more connected feel to the whole morning ritual.
Any differences in taste between the Lido 2 and the OG for you? For both filter and espresso, if you do both 8)

nameisjoey (original poster)

#100: Post by nameisjoey (original poster) »

For those who bought the Lido OG, how are you liking it so far? Any specific likes/loves & dislikes/hates?

Currently have a Lido 3 and a Pharos 2.0. I've done some side by side testing and kinda confirmed I slightly prefer the flavor I get from the Etzinger burrs.

It's not a huge difference to be honest, the Pharos does seem to have more texture and the Lido highlights the acidity a bit better. I guess the bigger mazzer burrs maybe have a bit more balance and highlight the chocolate notes more in some coffees.

Nonetheless, considering selling both to just have the Lido OG but wanted to see what everyone's thoughts are with it now that it's been out for some time. I realize now one must note their fine adjustment setting but other than that most of the improvements and changes seem to fix a lot of the things I maybe don't love about the Lido. I will miss the top loading though, and have considered just getting an E/ET but I love the open bottom of the OG to minimize retention.