Orphan Espresso OG Grinder - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jbviau
Supporter ★

#31: Post by jbviau »

Hey, as long as you're looking at manuals, might as well check these out: https://www.oehandgrinders.com/og-manuals
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

baldheadracing
Team HB

#32: Post by baldheadracing replying to jbviau »

Read manuals :roll:. If I had done that, then I wouldn't have had to order parts earlier today to fix my Fixie :oops:.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Yan

#33: Post by Yan replying to baldheadracing »

What happened to your Fixie?
I don't see many breakable parts...(pics capture from Prima Coffee)

baldheadracing
Team HB

#34: Post by baldheadracing »

Yan wrote:What happened to your Fixie?
1. I tore the rubber seal that holds the catch cup because I didn't follow the instructions - see second diagram at https://www.oehandgrinders.com/Fixie-Co ... _59-1.html Once the tear started, repeated use over the months has made the tears longer and so it's time for replacement.

2. The hard plastic shims that I made (poorly) acted like knives and damaged the supplied tuner shims.

(I have been using the grinder a lot.)
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Yan

#35: Post by Yan replying to baldheadracing »

Oh the rubber seal makes easy n fast to close the catch cup but in a hurry maybe user forget and by reflexes try to pull not bending to open the catch cup...

mborkow
Supporter ♡

#36: Post by mborkow »

wild speculation here, and somewhat off-topic, but I wonder (prompted in part because Pharos 2.0 seems to have disappeared from their site) if we'll see a new edition of the Pharos with similar updates and design language...

KCcoffeegeek

#37: Post by KCcoffeegeek »

The one thing that has always worried me about OE is the availability of parts. They are still EXTREMELY bad with answering emails about anything, ever. I did manage to do a very deep dive and figure out what burr set the Pharos uses, and found one place in the world that still had a few of them, as they are no longer in production. It cost me about $120, but between the one I have that works great and the new one, I should be covered until I die unless I hit a rock. FWIW, there are three Pharos for sale on this forum's marketplace right now. I think one is a very early USA made one, one may be a 2.0 and the other is a 1.0.

mborkow
Supporter ♡

#38: Post by mborkow replying to KCcoffeegeek »

I once calculated that with my current throughput (4 shots a day) my Pharos would last me 25 years...I'm surprised you felt the need to buy your replacement set of burrs. As much as I do love my Pharos, I suspect that in 25 years there'll probably something else that catches my eye (even if it's just Pharos X). I think rather than buy a replacement set of burrs for 1/3 - 1/2 the purchase price of a Pharos, I'd be more inclined to buy an additional Pharos (but I do own 3 editions of the Pharos and would buy a fourth if a new model came out).

nameisjoey (original poster)

#39: Post by nameisjoey (original poster) »

mborkow wrote:wild speculation here, and somewhat off-topic, but I wonder (prompted in part because Pharos 2.0 seems to have disappeared from their site) if we'll see a new edition of the Pharos with similar updates and design language...
I wonder that as well. They have been on a one-new-grinder-per-year schedule so it likely wouldn't be until next year. I wonder how it would be with the Pharos burrset in a Lido OG type format. Maybe incredible hard to turn. Having never used a Pharos before it doesn't look like it handles too well in its current format anyway but I'd love to buy one and find out :)

hankua
Supporter ♡

#40: Post by hankua »

I just checked the website and the Pharos is on sale.

Probably the only parts that need to be imported from Europe are the burr sets.

Back to the OG grinder, it looks like an attempt to put a stamp on the issue of hand grinder adjustments not being fine enough. I'll be interested in seeing how the ergonomics work in actual use.