Orphan Espresso LIDO 3 first impressions - Page 7

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
dominico
Team HB

#61: Post by dominico »

Glad to hear it! Makes for an easy choice for me.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

Bob_McBob

#62: Post by Bob_McBob »

I'm also getting the shaft rubbing described by a few other HB members. As Rich (OldNuc) pointed out, it's unrelated to burr rub, which I confirmed by removing the lower burr. It's not something I'm able to reproduce with my LIDO 2. It's not just a matter of a rubbing sound; it ranges from a slight rubbing sound, to enough friction to stop the handle spinning freely, to a very obvious misalignment that requires force to turn the handle. I haven't been able to identify any sequence of adjustments that avoids it completely, and re-locking the rings will often improve or eliminate it. Rather bothersome since I love the new design otherwise.

Also, is it acceptable for the breaking area of the burr to be chewed up like this?

Chris

Advertisement
ira
Team HB

#63: Post by ira »

Bob_McBob wrote:Also, is it acceptable for the breaking area of the burr to be chewed up like this?
It's certainly not uncommon and I've seem much worse than that on brand new much more expensive conical burrs.

Ira

baldheadracing
Team HB

#64: Post by baldheadracing »

I was wondering if removing the nylon slip ring would reduce the incidence of 'shaft rub' for those who have experienced it.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Bob_McBob

#65: Post by Bob_McBob replying to baldheadracing »

I had the same thought. I tried removing it and noticed a significant drop in the rate of the really bad shaft alignments, but the problem still persisted. I reinstalled it and the shaft alignment has been behaving better, but it will still randomly start binding after moving freely for a number of adjustments.

I should probably note that my LIDO 3 also arrived with the adjustment rings unlocked and the hopper screws really loose.
Chris

OldNuc

#66: Post by OldNuc »

To get these grinders aligned to cancel out or minimize all of the various manufacturing tolerances is, as I have said before, not a trivial task. It can be done though. There is no practical way to make the lower bearing carrier ring with a zero clearance so this will be a feature. Careful tweaking will minimize it though.

Paul_Pratt

#67: Post by Paul_Pratt »

I picked up 2 and 3 at SCAA and have used them everyday now for drip and espresso. They are fabulous machines and the quality between them and say Hario, Porlex etc..is off the scale. Doug and Barb deserve some huge credit for reinventing hand grinders from, let's face it, quite poor mediocre tools that produce brown lumps, to something very precise and capable of great things that will perform for decades and at decent prices.

Advertisement
drgary
Team HB

#68: Post by drgary »

+1

I still see people going for budget hand grinders and think they're missing a lot without a LIDO, any version. Now that there are locking gaskets for the ring adjustments and catch jar, the setting holds, the jar stays put and it's a reliable machine I use daily for office coffee that rivals what I get from my Bunn with Ditting burrs.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

OldNuc

#69: Post by OldNuc »

The normal manufacturing tolerances show up when either of these grinders are adjusted to a point way past where any useful ground coffee is produced. When operated as designed to produces good Turkish grind or coarser they do an amazingly good job.

Shenrei

#70: Post by Shenrei »

Agree with all of the above - the Lidos are amazing. They might need a bit of mechanical finesse but if you like manual grinding and admire the design, it's pretty enjoyable to put everything together.

I was able to minimize a lot of the intermittent rubbing with re-aligning the Lido 3 a bit using Doug's video, some things that were mentioned here, and a bit of improv on my end. Would like to do this on the Lido 2 as well to see if it helps with the free spin but don't really feel the need to as the grind output and resulting cups are stellar.
- Tim