Orphan Espresso LIDO 3 first impressions - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
OldNuc

#31: Post by OldNuc »

If the shaft is binding then you have misalignment due to shipping.

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#32: Post by EspressoForge »

samuellaw178 wrote:It's a bummer though you have to do alignment on the first day, hopefully you've already got some grinding done.
Thanks for the alignment video. I think it's good to keep in mind for users, especially since you never know how shipping went. I would be reasonably sure that most mis-alignment issues are simply due to shipping and not because they weren't aligned at the factory.
OldNuc wrote:If the shaft is binding then you have misalignment due to shipping.
My thoughts are similar. But after watching the video I got the idea that the bearings could be mis-aligned or other issue if your grinder doesn't turn freely in the first step of the alignment process. Maybe there's more issues at work there, but if you fail that first step it's probably best to contact OE.

I've pulled another couple shots, and while the grinder is still breaking in, I would say I'm pleased with the taste I can get compared to my HG1. Although for me it wouldn't suffice for a main espresso grinder, I believe it fits the role of a travel grinder very well.

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#33: Post by samuellaw178 »

At what grind setting was the Lido 3 set for during shipping? I think if it's tightened all the way in during shipment, the chance of misalignment will be reduced greatly.

OldNuc

#34: Post by OldNuc »

Shipping can exceed any credible force. I would not be the least surprised to find the axle misalignment is due to a serious shock administered by the prompt and caring shipping company.

Aligning this grinder is not a trivial task unless you have a higher than average mechanical ability. It will take you some time to get it right.

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#35: Post by EspressoForge »

OldNuc wrote:Aligning this grinder is not a trivial task unless you have a higher than average mechanical ability. It will take you some time to get it right.
I dunno, I just re-aligned mine, it seems very simple after seeing the video and using the supplied tool. It took me around 15 minutes.

I went from rubbing around 2.2 ticks out or so (just over 2) to no rub at 1 tick from "zero." Will put some load on the burrs tomorrow and see if it stays.

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#36: Post by samuellaw178 »

OldNuc wrote: Aligning this grinder is not a trivial task unless you have a higher than average mechanical ability. It will take you some time to get it right.
Actually, on the contrary, I found that it was extremely easy to get decent alignment when I followed the video. I am not any more mechanically-talented compared to many here.

The only thing I found needing extra care was the tightening step. Tightening too much and you risk uneven tightening. That's where the special tool Doug has will come in handy.

JavaMD
Supporter ♡

#37: Post by JavaMD »

jbviau wrote: Steve, how was the effort level required at 2 notches from zero? I haven't gone that low yet.
Didn't seem hard at all ... but then only grinding for a shot. seemed easier than the Lido 2.

Steve

patsesson

#38: Post by patsesson »

Hi all.

Getting deeper into this coffee making game here myself :)
Now using just a Krups spicegrinder for coffee beans also :(

Was planning to get a better grinder for home, Rancilio Rocky and for the road a Porlex mini perhaps.
Then i saw these Lido manual grinders, how would the grind quality be between the Lido 3 and lets say Rancilio Rocky ?
Any thoughts ?

Daily grind just for myself for FrenchPress, about 20-40g beans a day.
How much effort would it take to grind with the Lido 3 lets say to 6people?
If this would be just the "one" grinder for home and travel use, with Aeropress.

:)

brianl

#39: Post by brianl »

The lido 2 is better than the rocky. It is waaayyy better than the porlex as well.

Grinding for 6 people might be annoying unless you make them grind their own dose. For that purpose I would also get a baratza Virtuoso. The two would probably cost the same as the rocky and porlex.

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#40: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

^^^ If by "grinding for 6" he just means 60 g. or so of the same coffee for a full pot from a drip machine of some sort, I don't think that would be too much to do by hand at all (i.e. fairly low effort, maybe 2 minutes worth of grinding at most). But then again I wouldn't necessarily *want* to do it when entertaining, and in my family coffee for 6 would probably mean 2 pots.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias