Orphan Espresso LIDO 3 first impressions - Page 19

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
andpgud

#181: Post by andpgud »

I was wondering about one thing after reading the info on the OE site
I am looking for a grinder for my Elektra Mcal and have been thinking if Lido 3 would be enough or if I should go for the E.
Whats your take on this?
I do travel and so on but my question is if the 3 is good enough for espresso

jbenson4

#182: Post by jbenson4 »

andpgud wrote:I was wondering about one thing after reading the info on the OE site
I am looking for a grinder for my Elektra Mcal and have been thinking if Lido 3 would be enough or if I should go for the E.
Whats your take on this?
I do travel and so on but my question is if the 3 is good enough for espresso
The 3 and E are mechanically the same, save the the threads on the adjustment ring. The E has finer threads which give it an advantage for fine tuning an espresso grind. Visual differences are the dark color and folding handle on the 3. Otherwise, they can each grind the same from espresso to drip.
I own an E and I love it. Definitely good enough for espresso.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#183: Post by yakster »

I have the Lido 2 (with the original Lido 2 burrs) and keep it in a travel kit for coffee at work and at job sites and for any travelling I do. 95% of the time I use it for brewed coffee but sometimes I use it with my MyPressi or other lever espresso machine.

I think for deciding between the Lido 3 and the Lido E, you'd want to estimate which brew method, espresso or brewed coffee, will be your primary and use that as the basis for the decision. IIRC, the Lido E can do brewed coffee grinding range, but you'll need more revolutions of the adjustment ring to get it there.

Another variable is that levers seem to be more forgiving of grind so it may be easier to dial in your Elektra MCAL than a pump machine.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

andpgud

#184: Post by andpgud »

If thats the case then i know I will be more happy with the Lido E.
I mainly use it for espresso and if needed I will adjust it for that :)

MarekK

#185: Post by MarekK »

If someone is looking at parting with their Lido3, I'm interested :) PM me

strobolights

#186: Post by strobolights »

It's so surprising. There are no review about espresso cup taste kind of stuff.
I have a LIDO E and I use with a espressoforge.
OE says that espresso range is 4-8 at LIDO-E ( I can translate the espresso range is 2-4 at LIDO-3 ).
But In my experiences, the range between 0.5 and 1.0 at LIDO-E can work, but 4th notch is too loose for my espresso forge.
My coffee beans is city roast.

I am wondering if there are any issue with my LIDO-E, espresso forge, and search actual user review about LIDO-E, LIDO-3.
But there are nothing. It's surprising....
There are only noise issues thing or some Pharos, LIDO-2, comparison, toy talk kind of stuff.

OldNuc

#187: Post by OldNuc »

The actual grinder setting is pretty much unique to each individual grinder. Many variables: bean origin, roast level, machine and accessories, technique all have an impact. As long as it works don't worry.

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#188: Post by samuellaw178 »

strobolights wrote:It's so surprising. There are no review about espresso cup taste kind of stuff.
I have a LIDO E and I use with a espressoforge.
OE says that espresso range is 4-8 at LIDO-E ( I can translate the espresso range is 2-4 at LIDO-3 ).
But In my experiences, the range between 0.5 and 1.0 at LIDO-E can work, but 4th notch is too loose for my espresso forge.
My coffee beans is city roast.

I am wondering if there are any issue with my LIDO-E, espresso forge, and search actual user review about LIDO-E, LIDO-3.
But there are nothing. It's surprising....
There are only noise issues thing or some Pharos, LIDO-2, comparison, toy talk kind of stuff.
Are you sure? :lol: At least I know I've posted my taste impression on espresso a *long* while ago about the Lido 3. The new Lido 2, Lido 3, Lido E-T and Lido E are almost similar with the same burrset, with only slightly different features. They just work and work great for espresso and pour over, and that is well accepted fact (in my view), which was probably why people don't even post about it except when they have problem?

strobolights

#189: Post by strobolights »

OldNuc wrote:The actual grinder setting is pretty much unique to each individual grinder. Many variables: bean origin, roast level, machine and accessories, technique all have an impact. As long as it works don't worry.
Uh huh.
In my opinion, such individual unique informations would help other's coffee life, so I searched old articles, but I can't find any information.
Please don't care about it, my searching skill might be lame...

ChiRho

#190: Post by ChiRho »

Espresso range on my Lido 3 is from zero to negative 2. It is not unusual for some variation in espresso range settings between individual grinders and I confirmed this with OE.
Cheers!
Chris