Orphan Espresso Carbon Fibre hand grinder "Fixie" - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
baldheadracing (original poster)
Team HB

#21: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

emradguy wrote:Maybe I've missed it, but I haven't seen anything about overall dimensions yet. ...
I don't remember anything ... but from the IG link that Joshua posted:

Not sure whose hand that is, but the grinder looks like a shrunken Lido2+, assuming that the same knob as the Lido's is being used. That will probably make the Fixie a bit too big for me personally.

The grinder that I currently pack is an Aergrind with no catchcup. The Aergrind with no catchcup (but with one silicone ring) comes in at 298g, and fits inside an Aeropress Go plunger (and thus, the Go cup). I grind directly into the Aeropress, Espro travel press, etc., so no need for a catchcup.

Unfortunately, the cup that my Aergrind produces is not as good as some of my other grinders like the Apex, so now I only pack the Aergrind and some whole bean for just-in-case use. After doing some tasting, for weekend trips, I pre-grind and pre-dose individual portions at home. For longer trips, or for espresso, I pack the Hausgrind or Lido2(Italmill burrs).
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Team HB

#22: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

Manual up. No price yet, but Etzinger burrs. http://www.oehandgrinders.com/Fixie-Cof ... _59-1.html
The Fixie is permanently aligned and requires NO disassembly or maintenance.
ALL of the components of the Fixie are made of materials which are naturally static dissipative. Please do not use water on your beans while grinding - it's not necessary and it can cause damage to the grinder.

Bunkmil

#23: Post by Bunkmil replying to baldheadracing »

I like the idea of making the grind adjustment with shims. It should make it easier to keep alignment when the burrs are kept in place.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#24: Post by jbviau »

Re: size, I don't know the length/width, but on Instagram they said the hopper holds 50 g. and the cup holds 35 g., so it's not tiny by any means.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by emradguy »

I think what we (uh, I) need (want) from the intense innovators such as Kinu, OE, etc, is a true single cup/dose high end hand grinder. Lightweight and short with ultra-stable large burrs, a hopper capacity of no more than 25g and a 25g max catch cup that one can choose to use or opt out of. Something where I'm not think I wish it was small, lighter, higher quality grind or the like when I'm trying to decide what to take on my next trip. Something that I readily go to without question.
LMWDP #748

truemagellen

#26: Post by truemagellen replying to emradguy »

Really to get anywhere we need an innovation in burr design and material...OEs fixie is a great step forward in body design

Team HB

#27: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

jbviau wrote:Re: size, I don't know the length/width, but on Instagram they said the hopper holds 50 g. and the cup holds 35 g., so it's not tiny by any means.
My guess is that OE wanted capacity for making coffee for two.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#28: Post by jbviau »

^^^ Right, I love the innovation and will get one to support them for that (and to play around with, of course), but if I could wave a magic wand I'd make it only half as high <*poof*>. If only it were that easy to make such a change in terms of design/production...
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

yakster
Supporter ♡

#29: Post by yakster »

The longer shaft and distance between bearings probably helps with alignment.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#30: Post by emradguy replying to yakster »

Yes, that's the argument I've always heard...and stability. I'd still like something much shorter without losing quality. I imagine it's coming one day. I mean, in a way the alignment issue is sort of like...two almost parallel lines. If they're short, they might look parallel, but if you make them long enough, they'll eventually cross. So, length helps one see the finer malalignment and correct for it...but there is technology now that allows ultra-high accuracy and precision in very short distances. Of course, that's also ultra-expensive. We just need to keep waiting until some engineer type figures out how to do it affordably.
LMWDP #748