Orphan Espresso Carbon Fibre hand grinder "Fixie" - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jpender

#11: Post by jpender »

baldheadracing wrote:To put the expected 330g mass in context, I weighed my other 'travel' grinders:

Aergrind: 385g
Zassenhaus Panama: 527g
Hausgrind: 1188g (Aluminium body version; my current travel grinder)
Lido2: 1566g (Italmill burrs w/glass jar)

That sounds really good for a travel grinder. I'd want one of those. But the 330g is an unverified, preliminary weight. It wouldn't surprise me if it creeps up some. Consider the Lido2. OE used to say on its website that the Lido2 weighed 1068g and currently claims "about 1000 grams". Not that it matters for home use but it's a significant underestimate.

ira
Team HB

#12: Post by ira »

But for this one, the weight is the most important thing and the weight for the Lido was not really a consideration. Personally I expect the weight might go down as every gram they get out is significant.

Ira

jbviau
Supporter ★

#13: Post by jbviau »

The latest Instagram pic sheds some light on how adjustment will work. I like that they're innovating, but where will people store the discs that they're not using?
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

yakster
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by yakster »

I've you've broken in your burrs and dialed in your preferred method, you shouldn't need to adjust the ground during your trip.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

MNate

#15: Post by MNate »

With how much flexibility the Robot has in how much you put in the basket (roughly 10-20 grams), it seems a fixed grind size might be fine as one can just adjust the dose a bit to get the desired flow. I might have to wait and see as my Pharos is not very travel friendly.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by yakster »

They've stated that this is intended for filter, not espresso.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

ira
Team HB

#17: Post by ira »

I believe that statement is based on the limited adjustment. No reason it wouldn't work for espresso if you could manage to adjust it for that. Depending on how it's assembled that might be anywhere between acquire a spare set of shims to finding a lathe. Hopefully it will be find some additional shims and then it will be easy. If the three disks in the latest post are for adjusting and you choose one of them than all you'll need is an espresso thickness shim.

Ira

jpender

#18: Post by jpender »

ira wrote:No reason it wouldn't work for espresso if you could manage to adjust it for that.

Probably true. But why would anyone want to sacrifice ease of adjustability with espresso? For travel? The weight savings can't really be that important compared to the whole travel espresso kit. Maybe you could fiddle with dose but that seems like such a funky kludge just to shave a few hundred grams off what is already an extravagant travel setup.

I just carry a plastic Aeropress when on the road and I was thinking of how nice it would be to have something a lot better than a Porlex Mini (233g) but without adding too much extra weight or size. I pretty much never adjust the grind; the Aeropress doesn't care that much. The Knock Aergrind would work except that I refuse to do business with those guys. So maybe this will be my new travel grinder sometime in 2020? We'll see... I certainly trust OE's workmanship. My Lido 1 continues to work well for me.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#19: Post by jbviau »

I saw on Instagram earlier that Barb & Doug are shooting for making this grinder available toward the end of February. It's in the comments under this pic:
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by emradguy »

Maybe I've missed it, but I haven't seen anything about overall dimensions yet. Besides weight, I also consider size. My own travel setup is always in flux, depending on space, weight, mood and destination. I either choose a Flair or an Espro Travel Press for my brew method when I intend to bring a grinder, and it's nice to be able to not have to decide which grinder to bring along. Something small and lightweight, and as good as or better than the Lido E-T (I don't travel with my Lido 1 ever), would be great, especially if it was smaller and featherweight. I've toyed with getting a Kinu, but have paralysis between buying the flagship m47, which has all their technology I want, but is about as big as the E-T, or the traveler, which is appealing for its smaller size, but lacks the magnetic catch cup and the thumb stop. If the Fixie checks all of my boxes, I would probably be all over that.
LMWDP #748