Orphan Espresso Apex Grinder

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
hankua
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by hankua »

Well the cat's out of bag, OE posted on twitter: "First cup of coffee brewed with the Apex grinder"

Last month I stopped by with another HB member to catch up with Doug and Barb, where we heard all about the big burr grinder in development. They laid out some of the rough casting parts and explained how they go together. As the picture shows, the Apex will have a set of big ghost/crushing burrs and is a dedicated hand grinder. I believe it's intended purpose is everything BUT espresso prep.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#2: Post by jbviau »

Thanks! Yes, I've been following the various teases on social media. Lately I'd started to feel the urge to take the next step up from my manual grinders and/or the Preciso for filter brewing, so this comes at a good time. I'm curious to read more details, of course, and grateful that Doug & Barb are so driven to keep innovating.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Advertisement
Marcelnl

#3: Post by Marcelnl »

seems they are using a burr geometry that I have seen in the 'coffee shops' in my country that are about 'weed' not coffee.
LMWDP #483

OldNuc

#4: Post by OldNuc »

All of the old cast iron/steel hand and motor drive shop grinders from the past used a ghost burr. They produce a very consistent particle size and next to zero fines. Will not grind into the espresso range however. The will get fine enough that a 1.5-2.0 BAR espresso extraction would work.

IMAWriter

#5: Post by IMAWriter »

Doug and Barb rock the coffee planet...again.
Now the patient wait begins..., unless the cat jumped back into the :lol: bag.

maxbmello

#6: Post by maxbmello »

Will be anxiously awaiting this release as well!

ripvanmd

#7: Post by ripvanmd »

On the edge of my seat....

Advertisement
CwD

#8: Post by CwD »

OldNuc wrote:All of the old cast iron/steel hand and motor drive shop grinders from the past used a ghost burr. They produce a very consistent particle size and next to zero fines. Will not grind into the espresso range however. The will get fine enough that a 1.5-2.0 BAR espresso extraction would work.
Interestingly on my Jericho badged Fuji R-440 the grinds look completely free of fines, but they quickly show up if you try to sieve. I think the ghost burrs just have better fines integration instead of throwing them off separately. Regardless, I'm interested in this for making these strange burrs much more publicly accessible than the large, hard to get, and expensive machines that offer them now.

OldNuc

#9: Post by OldNuc »

Don't know about the Fuji 440 but the '30s vintage shop grinder I have used for better than 20 years to grind for a commercial BUNN machine is effectively fines free at that coarser setting setting. That is what makes them attractive for coarse grinds.

maxbmello

#10: Post by maxbmello »

Doug shared a photo on twitter using this grinder and seiving the fines. There were hardly any, so I don't think it is about integration, just very consistent coarse grinding capability.

I have an old grindmaster with ghost tooth burrs that kinda sucks, interested to see how this turns out. So far, very promising looking!