Orphan Espresso Apex Grinder - Page 85

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Yan

#841: Post by Yan »

blutch wrote:I have found there is no way to brush with the rocks glass in place.. do you brush it out onto the pad and then transfer those grounds to your dose? I'm confused about that. Banging it lets the stuck grounds go into the cup.
Brush are use if you are not using the funnel, btw can you give some picture of your grinder beans chamber area, do you use the auger without the funnel or with the funnel? my experience using the funnel only the grinder need more time to grind and with the spring auger only the grind time faster but need some brush to guide some beans or boulders stuck at far left and right side, but both funnel only or spring auger only still had problem with larger beans at finer settings the last beans sometimes can not drop to burr chamber without opening to coarser setting for short period and set back to the original finer setting after the beans drop and restart the grind process. Do you have the 5-6 gr retention experience from the beginning or after you put the spring auger?

Do you try the RDT?

zix

#842: Post by zix »

blutch wrote:I have found there is no way to brush with the rocks glass in place.. do you brush it out onto the pad and then transfer those grounds to your dose? I'm confused about that. Banging it lets the stuck grounds go into the cup.
I put a lower cup in there, or an espresso filter (have an old blind filter for back flush since forever), or just my hand under it.
LMWDP #047

Advertisement
blutch

#843: Post by blutch »

I got the cover with the hole in it and the blower. It doesn't blow ANY grounds out. About all it does it blow blow chaff from the hopper area into the burrs.. I was hoping this would be the alternative to banging out the grinds ever time. I'm going to try leaving the grounds in there and see if it gets transferred into the next batch.

blutch

#844: Post by blutch »

Yan wrote:Brush are use if you are not using the funnel, btw can you give some picture of your grinder beans chamber area, do you use the auger without the funnel or with the funnel? my experience using the funnel only the grinder need more time to grind and with the spring auger only the grind time faster but need some brush to guide some beans or boulders stuck at far left and right side, but both funnel only or spring auger only still had problem with larger beans at finer settings the last beans sometimes can not drop to burr chamber without opening to coarser setting for short period and set back to the original finer setting after the beans drop and restart the grind process. Do you have the 5-6 gr retention experience from the beginning or after you put the spring auger?

Do you try the RDT?
I use both the funnel and the spring. I put the spring in because I was frustrated having to brush beans into the burr chamber every time. All the beans get into the burr chamber most of the time now. I don't know where it is holding 5grs of beans, but it is. That seems really excessive to me.

I have not tried RDT because there isn't a ton of static. Do you think it would actually help with retention? I would think it would add to retention, but I'll try it.

Yan

#845: Post by Yan »

blutch wrote:I use both the funnel and the spring. I don't know where it is holding 5grs of beans, but it is.
Do you think it would actually help with retention? (RDT)
Imho please try funnel only I think it's the less aggressive in grinding the beans, it will takes time but maybe less fines(stuck) at the chute so no need to use brush/banging the grinder as I told you before if the last beans stuck or not drop to the burr chamber at the finer setting open shortly to the coarser setting just to let the beans drop an then set back to the original settings and continue grinding back and forth, you also can rocking the handle cw and ccw back and forth this is also speeding up the grind process, some member better with RDT just try and see are those helping the retention or not.

I will share with some pictures from this morning brew session, no RDT, no banging the grinder, no brushing and no air blowing to beans chamber, just regular back and fort cw, ccw spinning the handle with shortly open to coarser setting and back to original for the last stuck beans. I always cleaning my grinder after finishing a brew session (suction with vacuum cleaner + extra air blowing from chute to clean the fines stuck) so no excessive leftovers from previous session.

19.1 grams in my target is 18/300gr ratios so I put +1gr

18.6 grams out, as I told before my retention 0.5gr - 2.0gr range in 12/15/20gr.

Using +5 clicks from the finest with funnel only.

With normal flow rate 2m:38s, a bit higher yields +18gr than my target 300gr.. :)

If funnel only or RDT not help, lastly try to deep cleaning just in case some boulders are stuck between the burr or the burr slightly miss alignment.

blutch

#846: Post by blutch »

Ok. I will take the spring out and try it again.. I'm reticent because it was SO difficult to install that spring. :)

I get no additional grounds out going cw and ccw back and forth.... nothing. Blowing gets nothing out. I had made the decision to just go back to the Baratza 270 for pour overs, but I just did a test.. got the two grinders as close in courseness as I could with the naked eye and brewed two cups in Kalita waves.. identical everything. Unfortunately, the Apex cup was considerably better.. ugh... I was just going to get rid of it, but considering how much better it is, I can't.. I just have to figure it out. I think I'll take the spring out and take it apart and clean everything and start over. Seriously - 5-6 grams out of 27 (I like a big cup at night) is just too much.

ALSO - I tested it with different roasts with no banging.. unfortunately, the darker beans ended up in with the lighter beans. SO, in my case it isn't that the nooks and crannies are filling up and the same beans are keeping them filled.. No... they are coming through in the next grind if I don't bang and brush them out.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#847: Post by baldheadracing »

FWIW, I average 0.15g from a single thump and the least possible RDT.

To me, 5g could mean the burr cover isn't in place properly or something weird like that ... offhand, I can't think of a place in the grind chamber where 5g could hide.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Advertisement
blutch

#848: Post by blutch replying to baldheadracing »

Maybe something is wrong with mine? I had a lot of trouble putting it back together and had things in the wrong place the first time.

Check my video above. I get huge amounts out of it by banging... then I get another gram or so by brushing up underneath in the chute.

Do you use the spring?

Yan

#849: Post by Yan »

blutch wrote:Ok. I will take the spring out and try it again.. I'm reticent because it was SO difficult to install that spring. :)

I get no additional grounds out going cw and ccw back and forth.... nothing. Seriously - 5-6 grams out of 27 (I like a big cup at night) is just too much
Do you already test without the spring? First time I re-use the spring I can't do it alone, my brother helping to screw and I try to hold the spring after 2-3 reassemble I can do it without any help.

The cw and ccw if you only using funnel sometimes the beans queeing too much at the funnel so rocking cw and ccw let the beans drop to the burr chamber easyly, with spring the spring will guide the beans more aggressively.

Yes 5-7 gr retention of 27 gr are too much, do you ever deep cleaning the grinder? If you had a time just try to deep cleaning the grinder or realign the burr.

blutch

#850: Post by blutch »

It came without the spring. I used it for awhile like that, but got frustrated that the beans wouldn't feed, so I installed it. I hadn't checked retention at that point actually. How do you align these burrs? Do you do a marker test light flat burrs? I don't think that's possible with this kind of burrs.