Orphan Espresso Apex Grinder - Page 81

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Yan

#801: Post by Yan »

I don't have much experience with FP, right of the box my C40 already been good for pour over by the time it won't be night and day, getting better yes but not significantly. Try seasons the C40 for 3-5 kg maybe will be better, there's also probability that your taste preference for FP tends to Kinu M47 profile...

Sandyr10

#802: Post by Sandyr10 »

If I had to describe how the grounds look, the kinus look softer like they were crushed and the comandante looks more like they were cut and still more solid.

Advertisement
Yan

#803: Post by Yan replying to Sandyr10 »

Try to seasons the C40 more at least to 3-5 kg and test side by side with M47, and pick ones you like, the C40 probably cleaner than M47 which you're not preferred (less lively).

iBrew

#804: Post by iBrew »

Sandyr10 wrote:I know this really doesn't belong here, but since many of you also own comandante c40, I thought I'd ask. So I ended up getting a comandante to compare to my kinu and the results haven't been great. Keeping all the variables the same (tap water, 202 F, same time in the French press), the comandante is not giving a very good result in the cup. The kinu tastes much more fruity and lively. I did get a good result the first test but then I adjusted the grind a little finer and then worked my way back to the original setting and even went a little coarser. All of them tasted more hollow and somewhat bitter. Does this grinder take some breaking in or maybe i got a defect?
That's too bad you're not liking the Comandante... the Comandante gives me great cups that are fruity, great sweetness, very good clarity just a really well balanced cup. I didn't notice the Comandante needing a break in period. Did you disassemble the Comandante? I believe how the burrs sit there's 6 different positions that may give better or worse results. If you disassembled it to get at the burrs maybe that's what happened and it's just finding the right position again. I haven't really noticed this but others have.

autoexec

#805: Post by autoexec »

I read that many of the Apex users here also own a C40. My question is, what is the equivalent C40 setting the Apex can grind in its finest setting. If it's around 12 clicks then I'd be a happy camper. Thank you.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#806: Post by baldheadracing replying to autoexec »

Not sure why you're asking, but note that grinding on the Apex at its finest setting is, to me, unbearably slow.

(The grind speed on the Apex varies noticeably; coarser is faster, finer is slower. The adjustment on the Apex ranges from +9 clicks (coarsest) to -9 clicks (finest), where 0 is the mid-point of the adjuster. The finest I'll go is -7.)
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Sandyr10

#807: Post by Sandyr10 »

I haven't disassembled them comandante. Have you used the comandante for pour over only or also French press? I'm thinking comandante excels more at pourover and for some unknown reason kinu is giving me better extractions for French press. I'm going to try the comandante on my v60 tomorrow.

Advertisement
autoexec

#808: Post by autoexec »

baldheadracing wrote:Not sure why you're asking, but note that grinding on the Apex at its finest setting is, to me, unbearably slow.

(The grind speed on the Apex varies noticeably; coarser is faster, finer is slower. The adjustment on the Apex ranges from +9 clicks (coarsest) to -9 clicks (finest), where 0 is the mid-point of the adjuster. The finest I'll go is -7.)
Because my preferred grind size is on the finer side for my pourovers. It's not like I am interested on how fine the Apex could go but more like if it can provide me my usual grind sizes. To rephrase my question then, what would be the equivalent grind size on the Comandante can the Apex grind finest at a reasonable speed (maybe that -7 you mentioned). I only asked for the "finest" setting because I had the impression that it may not grind fine enough for my needs.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#809: Post by baldheadracing replying to autoexec »

Ah, okay :).

I find that hard to answer as a grind setting that gives the same (median) grind size in the two grinders may/can/will flow faster from the Apex due to different grind distributions. That may mean faster flow, and thus less contact time, with the Apex - so a different technique might be needed, as setting the Apex finer to get the same flow/contact time might, for example, be too fine and choke the filter paper. In other words, an optimal Comandante recipe may be different from an optimal Apex recipe.

Regardless, in absolute terms, any (decent) small conical grinder will go quite a bit finer than the Apex.

FWIW, this is my reference recipe for brewing small amounts of coffee (12g); Apex is anywhere from -4 to -7, depending on the coffee.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

autoexec

#810: Post by autoexec »

Thanks! At least I know it's possible to do 12g brews with the Apex :)
baldheadracing wrote:Ah, okay :).

I find that hard to answer as a grind setting that gives the same (median) grind size in the two grinders may/can/will flow faster from the Apex due to different grind distributions. That may mean faster flow, and thus less contact time, with the Apex - so a different technique might be needed, as setting the Apex finer to get the same flow/contact time might, for example, be too fine and choke the filter paper. In other words, an optimal Comandante recipe may be different from an optimal Apex recipe.

Regardless, in absolute terms, any (decent) small conical grinder will go quite a bit finer than the Apex.

FWIW, this is my reference recipe for brewing small amounts of coffee (12g); Apex is anywhere from -4 to -7, depending on the coffee.
video