Orphan Espresso Apex Grinder - Page 76

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
oralia80

#751: Post by oralia80 »

That REALLY makes sense. Thank you. I hadn't seen that.
"new grinder? Tell me more..."

zix
Supporter ♡

#752: Post by zix »

Well, I gave in and ordered a new Apex.
I keep ordering these grinders directly from OE even though they do sell through some European stores now. Force of habit, maybe... don't think there will be a price difference in the end. It's rather a lot of money, shipping and taxes summed up, which made me kinda nervous. It is worth it, right?

Will be eager to try it out once it shows up, but it needs a good chopping board to sit on too - plus we are doing changes in the kitchen.
I am very much an espresso person, but it just seemed stupid not to give all the other brewers a chance. Especially interested to see whether the Cona and the Chemex will do better with this one than with the more espresso-esque grinders I have been using for brew (Kinu, Lido E-T, BPlus Apollo, Niche Zero).
LMWDP #047

Yan

#753: Post by Yan »

OE Apex will be performed really well especially with slow drawdown dripper such as chemex/ kalita wave, based on your existing grinder collection there will be better results in the cup, I have M47 and had Lido 3 in the past... hopefully you like the new experience with Apex...

zix
Supporter ♡

#754: Post by zix »

Sounds good, Yan, thanks!
I tend to roast on the darker side when roasting for espresso as well, so it will be an interesting change of style with the brew roasts, I thought I'd see if there is anything in this third wave coffee thingy ;).
Will learn some new stuff I hope. Fun!
LMWDP #047

Italotazius

#755: Post by Italotazius »

I bought one a few days ago, I have some questions:

When I grind and open the hopper chamber half way through grinding I find crushed beans. Does the auger spring breaks them in the hopper? (my grinder stalls a lot with filter roasts even on the 0/medium grind settings, is it possible that the auger spring does that?)
(my grinder shipped with both the spring and the funnel installed)

At first I decided I never gonna clean it but when I cleaned the grounds chute with the brush it seemed like it mostly retains fines. Now I clean the chute before every session because it seems like some of the magic of this grinder is in the fine retention.

Yan

#756: Post by Yan »

Italotazius wrote: Does the auger spring breaks them in the hopper? (my grinder stalls a lot with filter roasts even on the 0/medium grind settings, is it possible that the auger spring does that?)
(my grinder shipped with both the spring and the funnel installed)

At first I decided I never gonna clean it but when I cleaned the grounds chute with the brush it seemed like it mostly retains fines. Now I clean the chute before every session because it seems like some of the magic of this grinder is in the fine retention.
The Auger doesn't break the beans but push/guided the beans more faster to the Burr Gap, the last beans doesn't really get faster drop to the gap it still keep rotating, this is why some members yesterday commenting the Apex is were awful compare to C40 in usages, but not every members with Apex can not solve that problem either they let go the last beans or as Me I open and closed the Burr setting to coarser setting to let beans drop to the gap and rocking the handle back and forth.
Using the funnel and auger simulraniusly sometimes will be too hard to spin the handle especially with larger dosage more than +20gr, without the auger the beans will be drop by gravitation it's slower and much lighter to spin.

Cleaning and not cleaning the fines on the chute it's about preference some member do it everytime some people don't, I clean all the last fines with lens blower/ brush.

mediumfine

#757: Post by mediumfine »

Just got my Apex in the mail finally; took 5 weeks from OE. I'm in Canada. FIgured I would share my experience so far and my thoughts as I try and figure out how best to use this thing :)

I've got it screwed down to a 7lb cutting board, and just using with the funnel that was installed (no auger). I've put about 1.5lb/0.7kg through the grinder so far.
I primarily brew lighter roasts (Ethiopians and the like), 20g batches on v60. So far, with a few different beans, the best results I've had have been using water just off boil, grinding at C-3 (3 clicks finer from center), turning counter-clockwise. I've only brewed 2 cups at these settings; the last cup was medium roast and total brew time (including 35s bloom) was 2:45.

I haven't done extensive testing yet, however it is much easier to grind counter-clockwise, which allows me to grind slower and seems to possibly produce a more even grind. The only issue with doing this, is that the beans don't feed well at all. This morning I tried propping up the front of the cutting board (at an 11 degree angle fwiw), and voila, it fed in all the beans without requiring any intervention! It still takes considerably longer than grinding clock-wise, but for the ease of turning smoothly and slowly, the extra time is no biggie. I probably ground 22g of medium roast beans in about 1 minute, maybe a bit more (I didn't time it).

Tilting the grinder a bit so the feeding angle is steeper for counter-clockwise operation seems to work very well in the couple tests I've done. I'm curious if anyone else has tried this? Seemed so obvious but I can't find any discussion on it.
Also, I'm sticking the brush up grinds chute on both sides of the burrs after each grind and brushing out a lot of fines. I'm typically collecting ~1.5g of fine grinds after each grind. I'm fine to do this each time to avoid having these fines make it into the brew, just wondering what other people are doing.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#758: Post by jbviau »

mediumfine wrote:...just wondering what other people are doing...
Welcome!

I'm glad you bolted this down to a sturdy chopping block. That's been my approach since Dec. 2018.

The "smoother CCW" grinding tip I've read here a few times is something I haven't really experienced. I think it might be related to burr break-in. Anyway, something I do notice myself doing is alternating between ~3 revolutions CW and then once CCW while grinding just to help the beans feed evenly.

I'd considered propping the crank end of the grinder up in the past but didn't really pursue it. Whatever works for you, right?! I wouldn't mind seeing a pic if you're able to post one.

Re: clean-up, I do brush out my chute (and gently "knock" the whole block+grinder combo. by lifting it a bit and letting it fall) after each grinding session. My retention is usually more like 0.6 g. with light RDT.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

zix
Supporter ♡

#759: Post by zix »

Mine is here too :)
Just thought I'd indulge in some unpacking pics. Looks great - the package got banged during transport, dropped on one corner. Both cardboard box and the official box took a hit, but it is so well styrofoamed that it would surprise me if that affected anything at all in the box.

LMWDP #047

zix
Supporter ♡

#760: Post by zix »

Here is a video of me cranking it, without any beans inside. The planetary gears are vibrating a little and we have the sound of what I think is gears moving. Is that correct?
It is not ghost burrs touching?
(It sounds louder in the video than in real life)
LMWDP #047