Orphan Espresso Apex Grinder - Page 75

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#741: Post by baldheadracing »

Lift the grinder and give the grinder a thump or two and the retained grinds will fall out. If you do this then I suggest using a plastic grinds container instead of the glass container supplied.

You can also brush out the chute and/or blow out the grind chamber but I have found that doing these two things only gets the last less-then tenth of a gram after thumping.

In addition, blowing out the hopper will help take care of stray beans "stuck" in the hopper. (There is a pic from OE previously posted in this thread showing where to make the hole for the blower.)

leckel1996

#742: Post by leckel1996 » replying to baldheadracing »

I fear this would cause too many fines to get into the brew. I'm just curious if the grinder evens out after seasoning and causes less fines to be produced with less retention.

Versalab: maker and supplier of finest espresso equipment
Sponsored by Versalab
baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#743: Post by baldheadracing » replying to leckel1996 »

Not that I remember, but it has been almost three years now.

You can always thump into a different grounds container and discard - or save the fines up for a cup of Turkish. I'm just not a big fan of coffee left in the grinder.

Are you using RDT? Try that if not.

Yan

#744: Post by Yan »

leckel1996 wrote:I fear this would cause too many fines to get into the brew. I'm just curious if the grinder evens out after seasoning and causes less fines to be produced with less retention.
It's better to try which one do you like in cups less retention more fines or less fines, faster drawdown (pourover) and better clarity...
I choose less fines but my retention not more than 1gr @20gr

Yan

#745: Post by Yan »

After almost 3 years (since Nov 2018) using the Apex, I am a bit curious how much rancid/old coffee build at the inner side of the burr.

Surprisingly not many rancid coffee sticking at the burr probably because I always using light roast coffee beans.

This is recreational not mandatory and the OE YouTube video guide help a lot as guidance.

leckel1996

#746: Post by leckel1996 »

Yan wrote:It's better to try which one do you like in cups less retention more fines or less fines, faster drawdown (pourover) and better clarity...
I choose less fines but my retention not more than 1gr @20gr
I tried grinding counter clockwise and I was able to grind more slowly without stalling and it also seemed to produce less fines which is interesting. I'll probably try to continue testing different methods, but I'm starting to get some really excellent tasting coffee. Similar to coffee shops with EK43s which I've been chasing the taste of for awhile.

Yan

#747: Post by Yan » replying to leckel1996 »

In the past several member here also grinding ccw and more comfortable with that method, so just enjoy what method you like.
I don't have EK or commercial grinder to compare with the Apex, but so far it's miles better than regular hand grinder such as Lido series, C40 n friends for pourover, imho for sub 500usd APEX is unbeatable... :)

Urnex: 100% dedicated focus on coffee and tea cleaning
Sponsored by Urnex
UbdU

#748: Post by UbdU »

Hello, this is my first post here.

I've been staring at the Orphan Espresso Apex grinder for weeks now, but I can't seem to pull the trigger.

I brew exclusively with a Clever Dripper, and my current grinder is a 1zpresso JX-Pro. I'm the only coffee drinker in the household, and I seem to prefer light to medium roasts.

Would the Apex be overkill for me?

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#749: Post by baldheadracing »

FYI, used Apexes have sold on this forum for $350. There are two for sale now.

oralia80

#750: Post by oralia80 »

Can anyone explain why grinding CCW with the Apex is so much easier and producing noticeably less fines? It's kind of remarkable.

A couple thoughts...
1. Maybe the burrs are duller going CW from use... and now switching to CCW they are sharper and cutting easier? If this is the case I imagine they will get back to what grinding CW is like.

2. Grinding CCW is less natural and forces a slower rotation. The beans feed in at a slower rate as well. Thus, less fines from the slower speed/feed.

Whatever the case... it's the slower rotation CCW for me. The cups are FANTASTIC.
"new grinder? Tell me more..."