Orphan Espresso Apex Grinder - Page 74

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
SimplifiedLife

#731: Post by SimplifiedLife »

Okay, so after a whole lot of coffees on the Apex.... I was finding my grind size was getting finer and settings shifting.
Then this last month I got a loaner EK43 from a mate (for 9 months!)
I'd always heard the Apex tastes like an EK43.... then it didn't. I nailed one of my best pour overs on my first go with the EK. Damn! And I realised my Apex wasn't doing as great as it could be.

What I did to realign was: When I did the realignment, I just removed the screws holding the fixed burr. Moved the grinder to its widest setting, cleaned some more and then followed the instructions for realigning. Then moved the grinder back to the finest setting and screwed it all back together. I didn't go any further.

I no longer have an issue with my Apex grinding almost for espresso on the finest setting! If only it wasn't after 10pm, I'd be making a coffee right now to test it out! I think it may have been off from the start! Hopefully this helps someone else.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#732: Post by baldheadracing »

SimplifiedLife wrote:... I'd always heard the Apex tastes like an EK43.... .
I've only read of one person claiming this, but they have repeated themselves a number of times in multiple threads here.

People point to the Prima video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrcGY1dhPVY) but Prima doesn't say anything about the taste of the Apex vs. the EK; only the differences in grinds distribution.

I'm not saying that the Apex is not a great brew grinder; I certainly enjoy the cups from mine. I'm just saying that one shouldn't expect the Apex to taste like an EK (and then there are the debates of which EK burrs, effects of alignment of both grinders, etc.).
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Yan

#733: Post by Yan »

SimplifiedLife wrote:I'd be making a coffee right now to test it out! I think it may have been off from the start! Hopefully this helps someone else.
Any improvement after the alignment and are there any improvement in the cups like better clarity, sweetness or complexity?
Would like to know how far from the EK after the alignment.
TIA

SimplifiedLife

#734: Post by SimplifiedLife »

baldheadracing wrote:I've only read of one person claiming this, but they have repeated themselves a number of times in multiple threads here.
Okay, so I'm currently enjoying the buzz of 32g of coffee (16g from Apex and 16g from EK43). I made two identical v60 pour overs with the same relative grind size based on my eyes (yes, many point to a similar consistency of grind between the two). They clocked the exact same time in the pour and the coffee beds looked identical. I insulated the first pour so they were both the same temperature and poured them into two identical cups. My wife and I both couldn't pick the difference in a blind test as they cooled. Both great brews. So similar that to finish I poured them into the same cup. So let me be another voice from this initial test. The Apex tastes so similar to an EK43 in this first test that I couldn't tell the difference. I'll do a few more over the next 9 months :D
I do know that the Apex can experience varied results in clarity while the EK43 never skips a beat. So that will be interesting to see
Yan wrote: Any improvement after the alignment and are there any improvement in the cups like better clarity, sweetness or complexity?
I would say the alignment adjustment is only useful if you are experiencing difficulty turning at the finest setting. Mine used to feel very tight and now it moves much more easily and is more consistent in the grind it produces. Clarity, sweetness and complexity was all on point for the best I've now tasted with this particular bean.

Yan

#735: Post by Yan »

SimplifiedLife wrote:Mine used to feel very tight and now it moves much more easily and is more consistent in the grind it produces. Clarity, sweetness and complexity was all on point for the best I've now tasted with this particular bean.
Glad to hear the improvement... :)

baldheadracing
Team HB

#736: Post by baldheadracing »

SimplifiedLife wrote:... The Apex tastes so similar to an EK43 in this first test that I couldn't tell the difference. ...
Excellent! :D

leckel1996

#737: Post by leckel1996 »

I just got this and the grind quality is ridiculously consistent. It's a beast to handle, but is definitely usable.

I'm wondering though if the retention eases up as the burrs are seasoned. Currently this grinder is retaining around 2g 4 clicks from the finest setting when grinding 24g. What's also interesting is that while the coffee is incredibly clear tasting, I'm feeling like it's maybe missing some fines in the flavor.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#738: Post by baldheadracing »

Lift the grinder and give the grinder a thump or two and the retained grinds will fall out. If you do this then I suggest using a plastic grinds container instead of the glass container supplied.

You can also brush out the chute and/or blow out the grind chamber but I have found that doing these two things only gets the last less-then tenth of a gram after thumping.

In addition, blowing out the hopper will help take care of stray beans "stuck" in the hopper. (There is a pic from OE previously posted in this thread showing where to make the hole for the blower.)

leckel1996

#739: Post by leckel1996 » replying to baldheadracing »

I fear this would cause too many fines to get into the brew. I'm just curious if the grinder evens out after seasoning and causes less fines to be produced with less retention.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#740: Post by baldheadracing » replying to leckel1996 »

Not that I remember, but it has been almost three years now.

You can always thump into a different grounds container and discard - or save the fines up for a cup of Turkish. I'm just not a big fan of coffee left in the grinder.

Are you using RDT? Try that if not.