Orphan Espresso Apex Grinder - Page 8

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
bakafish

Postby bakafish » Jun 25, 2018, 2:08 am

autoexec wrote:From the caption it says grind for a V60 brew. The lack of fines is also obvious in the graph, which is what they claim in the Apex's design.

Lack of fines? How can I read it from the graph? There is no other grinder at the same setting (same peak) to compare.

namelessone

Postby namelessone » Jun 25, 2018, 5:08 am

Also seems way coarse for V60 with most of the particles between 1000-2000um..

malling

Postby malling » Jun 25, 2018, 1:24 pm

That is indeed a VERY coarse grind, it might work for very dark roasted coffee, but that grind would't work for light roasted coffee.

With a Kruve you would want the main peak to be between 400-1200um with a smaller fraction under and over, you rarely grind coarser than 7o'clock on an EK, which is allot finer than the graf of the Apex

jbviau

Postby jbviau » Jun 25, 2018, 2:10 pm

Y'all, Doug himself says in that short clip that the range can be shifted back and forth by shimming...
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

malling

Postby malling » Jun 25, 2018, 3:06 pm

My personal view is that Shimming shouldn't be necessary with a $400-500 hand grinder, it should work right out of the box. That said, this grinder still look to be a great choice for those who dosen't use a light roast or who dosen't brew small batches.

I guess I'll have to wait for someone else to make a flatburr hand grinder, and I appreciate that this grinder might have open the door for that to happen down the line.

autoexec

Postby autoexec » Jun 25, 2018, 3:42 pm

bakafish wrote:Lack of fines? How can I read it from the graph? There is no other grinder at the same setting (same peak) to compare.

Even if your peak is 2000μm, on a normal grinder you'd still have some % of fines like the ones on the other grinders (apparently the other 2 is EK) in the chart. On Apex the fines are way too low (6.74% compared to the 33% of the EKs).

autoexec

Postby autoexec » Jun 25, 2018, 3:49 pm

malling wrote:My personal view is that Shimming shouldn't be necessary with a $400-500 hand grinder, it should work right out of the box. That said, this grinder still look to be a great choice for those who dosen't use a light roast or who dosen't brew small batches.

I guess I'll have to wait for someone else to make a flatburr hand grinder, and I appreciate that this grinder might have open the door for that to happen down the line.

Apex has the ghost burr and not in any way related to the normal flat burrs. They pretty much hit the sweet spot RPM (300) for that type of burr. Flat burrs need to spin way faster than that. From what I can see it (Apex) has an adjustment knob and you only change the shimmings if you have some drastic change to the distance of the burrs.

ira

Postby ira » Jun 25, 2018, 4:34 pm

The grinder will come set so it grinds what OE considers a reasonably range of sizes. If you want to move that range finer or coarser, it can be done by adding or removing shims. OE did not seem to expect that the average person using it for its intended purpose would ever need to change the setting it ships with.

Ira

IMAWriter

Postby IMAWriter » Jun 25, 2018, 5:26 pm

malling wrote:My personal view is that Shimming shouldn't be necessary with a $400-500 hand grinder, it should work right out of the box. That said, this grinder still look to be a great choice for those who dosen't use a light roast or who dosen't brew small batches.

I guess I'll have to wait for someone else to make a flat burr hand grinder, and I appreciate that this grinder might have open the door for that to happen down the line.

Respectfully, you are making assumptions about a grinder that is still in development, and that you haven't had your hands on. Lets give OE the time to finalize this grinder before summarily dismissing it?
Rob
LMWDP #187
www.robertjason.com

jesse

Postby jesse » Jun 25, 2018, 6:52 pm

autoexec wrote: On Apex the fines are way too low (6.74% compared to the 33% of the EKs).

Do you mean, like, suspiciously too low, or are you in the a-certain-amount-of-fines-benefits-filter-coffee camp?